Windsheild wiper motor - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 00, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

I have some questions regarding the wiring for my windshield wiper and washer motor. My car was completely rewired using a Painless Wiring kit a few months ago. Everything turned out good except the wipers don't work.

I took it back and the tech worked on it and only got the low speed to work and since I didn't have my windshield washer stuff hooked up I didn't bother messing with testing that. It turns out the motor shot a puff of smoke and hasn't worked since.

Now the question. I plan to buy a new one, again, but I want to ensure it doesn't get fried again. How can I trace the wires? The connector that was on the wiper motor side is gone now. So I have four (maybe six?) loss wires hanging there.

Anyone in the Chicago area good at wiring/electrical want a little project?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 00, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech

Some thoughts:
Is the correct fuse for the circuit in the fuse panel? A larger fuse may have let too much juice go to the wiper motor.

The engine harness has the wiper motor wires in it. You can get one for about $65 from the major restoration suppliers and put it in yourself. It plugs into the fire wall under the master cylinder & brake booster.

A wiring diagram is located in an assembly manual. A separate wiring diagram manual can be purchased alone for about $7.00., if you think you can do this yourself. Good luck.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 00, 05:12 AM

I have a similar situation on my 67 with an aftermarket wiring harness. I spent a lot of time measuring resistances for the motor and the wiper switch. I ended up using trial and error. The first time the wipers only went slow and in the fast position it didn't work at all. I believe that I had to switch several wires around, but I got it to work. You could install a ballast resistior as a temporary voltage drop to keep from damaging the new motor while you are trying to figure it out.

Kent
67 SS 427

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 00, 05:14 AM

How easy or difficult was the Painless harness to install. Does it fit up under the dash neatly or is it a mess. I am considering getting one of these for my car. The harness that I have leaves much to be desired.

Kent

67 SS 427
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 00, 06:38 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
Cool

Super Chevys Magazine, March 2000 edition has an excellent article on the instalation of a painless wiring kit. They always make it look easy.

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6792
IM - sixtsevnss
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 00, 11:31 AM
Senior Tech
Johnny

go with a new wiring harness that is avaible from several different suppliers. one that fits the car the way they were ment to be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode