86 Camaro won't start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 00, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

I have an 86 motor in an 85 2.8 V6 fuel injected 305 Camaro Berlinetta Sport Coupe. It died one day driving down the road. It cranks, but won't turn over. I have changed the distributor, rotor, spark plugs and wires, and the ECM (brain). Someone has told me it has something to do with on of the four to five sensors. Maybe the (vibration) Knock Sensor? I don't want to take it to the dealership or any other place, because they rape you for everything your worth. They wanted $170 to change some spark plug wires! If anyone has seen this before, please, for the love of God, let me know. I have been without this car for three weeks now.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 00, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech

The car should run when practically any sensor fails. Not run well but it should get you home. I'd first get a can of starting fluid, spray some in the air intake/throttle valve and try to start it. If it runs for a few seconds, you probably have a very dirty fuel filter, or more likely, a bad fuel pump or electrical relay for the pump. If it won't fire you may have a bad ignition module in the bottom of the dist. These do fail when the engine is hot. Might first check all the fuses, you never know.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 00, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

I had a simular problem with my 67 camaro. It would die when at a stop. I thought it was a fuel or carburater problem. I tested my alternater and found my regulator had gone bad. So the alternater was charging, but the charge wasn't being sent past the regulater. This caused my battery to be discharged and my egnition to die from lack of power.

Check your electronic system!

Hopfuly this will solve the problem.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 00, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Angry

I am still without the car, because I refuse to take it anyplace because of the money restrictions I am faced with at the moment. Someone told me that the electrical system might be bad, what part of the electrical system would go. Any part, I'd imagine! But what specific part - if you have seen this before? An inline fuse somewhere? Is it in the dash or around the motor someplace? Please be specific as possible because I am no ASE certified engine mechanic, but am a weekend mechanic. I have found out that I don't have a knock sensor for my motor. I will eventually have to have it towed into town to get it checked by a professional.
Thanks again.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 00, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Angry

I have checked for spark at the plugs, especially at the coil. None what-so-ever. My friend even held the end of the spark plug cap and I cranked the engine, but it did nothing to him. Nice guy, huh? The BAT side of the coil. It is not a coil in cap distributor. Anyway, explain BAT, please! The wiring at the module is good. Had the module checked, it's good. Tested the coil, it has the right stuff. The pick-up coil? Is that on the main coil? Is it somewhere totally different? Sorry, but this is beginning to make me mad. I've talked to alot of people, but they are all puzzled. I've talked to the Chevy dealerships around here and they couldn't give me info because I wasn't paying them my arm and leg.

Thank again.
Nick Smith
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 00, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Hello again,
I had to take my car into a car repair shop because I desperately need it ASAP. They had told me that it was the timing chain and it would only take them one day to fix it. After they took a closer look at it, they found out that it was also the camshaft, it had somehow mysteriously went flat overnight or something like that. Anyway, those were the reasons that my 85/86 camaro wouldn't start and the reason why it died on me. Yay, $1000 later, it's all good again.....exactly what I wanted to avoid!

Thanks again for all your guys' replies to try and help me.
Nick Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode