does any one have a muncie 21 that doesent leak from the front - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 02, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

just replaced every seal in my muncie 21 and still leaks from the front coming out of bell housing. it leaks a quarter size puddle after driving.now what to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 02, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech
Big daddy

I have a m20,I feel your pain...

------------------
67ssclone 327 4spd 410
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 02, 02:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Yes, I do!! Remember though that a lot of these trannies leak because the countershaft bore is egg shaped from years of excess torque application!!

About 15 years ago, Toyota (I know, it's Japanese! )started making some orange goo that they call FIPG (Form In Place Gasket) or Seal/Packing, Transmission/Transaxle case. Everyone makes a silicon gasket material, but IMHO this stuff is the best around. They make a black goo too that's for oil pans, and my pan doesn't leak either!! However, you will probably distort the sheetmetal when you try to get it back off

If you drive the countershaft in from the rear, and run a bead of this stuff around the shaft bore just before pressing the shaft into final position, it does a damn good job of sealing the trans. Make sure that you clean the seal area with brake-Kleen or lacquer thinner before applying!

Of course, make sure that the front seal, input shaft collar and cover gasket are in good shape too!

Good luck,

Paul D.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 02, 08:54 AM

I had the same problem. But, I fixed mine. I unbolted the transmission and put a piece of gasket material between bellhousing and transmission to cover up the countershaft whole. NO MORE LEAKS FOR ME. HOPE THIS HELPS.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 02, 12:27 PM

I concur with PDQUICK. I used the same sealers on the critical stuff that I build and no leaks....the black is the most used by myself, but the orange I use on parts that you dont have much access to (trans seal, tube seals and the like) it doesnt clean off to easy, thats why.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 02, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech

been there
I have a super chevy mag with an article about that they put JB weld on it ,

------------------
69 camaro traded for 67 camaro traded back for 69 now back with a 67 rs WILL IT NEVER END ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I HOPE NOT .
ADVENTURE'S IN RUST REPAIR
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 02, 06:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Pull the trans back enough to get a finger and rag with lacquer thinner and clean all the oil off. Then smear a liberal pile of silicone sealer on the end of the countershaft area and bolt the trans back up tight and let it dry. Should be fine....Or at least alot smaller puddle
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 02, 07:05 PM

Is it leaking from the cluster shaft or the bearing retainer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode