FIRE!!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 02, 01:57 PM
bigboyp4

well, i finally though my car was good to go for the summer. i was wrong! went to school today for my last day and the b**** catches on fire! Looks to me that the fuel backfed though the return line which i had ziptied to the mastercylinder. well, it hit the header and u get the idea. luckily, i caught it at a light and saw bad smoke. i flagged down a trucker and took his fire extinguisher. got it out quick so theres only a few wires/fuel lines/vacume lines, and the brake fluid cover kindof melted. i was curious, how do you reccomend i run my fuel system on my car. i think ill run solid metal all the way to the fuel pump on the motor, and cap the return line(i only have feed on the pump). i do have my 2.8l electric pump in the tank removed, i put a piece of metal gas line where it was. do you think my fuel filter is getting clogged? and that caused the backfeed, or maybe a bad gascap? i ran about 6 full tanks since i put the motor in, no problems. before i caught on fire, a mile down the road it died. i ulled off the gas line and it had a vacum, no gas. i blew into it, put it back on, and it eventually started. i just wondered if u guys had ne ideas on whats up or if ne one has had this problem. u can see my car at ajracing.cjb.net click on jeffs camaro.
thanks
Jeff

------------------
'85 Camaro
Ex 2.8l MPFI
Edelbrock Intake
Hooker SuperComp Longtube
Mufflex Y pipe
3" Flowmaster Cat-Back that sounds AWESOME

ajracing.cjb.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 02, 05:43 AM

All that I did was remove the return line. I also ran braided stainless steel -8 line to the engine from the gas tank. I also plugged the top except the vent, and welded a plug into the bottom of the tank.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 02, 08:20 AM
bigboyp4

do you think i could cap the return line? i dropped the tank once to bypass the pump, and im not looking forward to doing that again. also, would the v6 fuelfilter thats underneath the rear seat on the drivers side provide enough flow for the v8? if so, i was planning on replacing it, then running a one-piece metal tube all the way from there to the pump. do you think this would work or am i asking for trouble? thanks
Jeff

------------------
'85 Camaro
Ex 2.8l MPFI
Edelbrock Intake
Mufflex Y pipe

ajracing.cjb.net

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 02, 11:21 AM
Senior Tech

i have plans that describe all the parts you need an the how to replace the in tank fuel pump an run braided line. let me know if you want them, i will be glad to send, but it does require dropping the tank again.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 02, 04:33 AM
bigboyp4

well, it seems to be running ok. i havent taken it for a long ride, but its running good. i did a 3/8 fuel line from the factory fuel filter (i replaced that too) all the way to the pump. where the filter is, i pinched the return line and vacum line with vise-grips then rolled the line over once and clamped it as hard as i could. seems to be not leaking. i bought a stant locking pre-vent gas cap, the guy at murrays say it was vented, i guess the pre-vent means pressure venting. but oh well. do you think this system will be giving me any problems? i am afraid of fire now and i will religiously carry a fire extinguisher with me. yes, i would like to see your plans. in the future, i plan on redoing the whole system when i have another car while this one is all torn apart. you can email it to me, or put it on my FTP site. it is ftp://ajracing.cjb.net username-nickw password-nick . then just cut and paste like in windows. my e-mail is [email protected]. anyways, thanks a lot. check out my car on my site ajracing.cjb.net and tell me what you guys think of it. thanks

Jeff

------------------
'85 Camaro
Ex 2.8l MPFI
Edelbrock Intake
Mufflex Y pipe

ajracing.cjb.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode