Erratic Fuel pressure - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 03, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Garage
I am running a holley mechanical 130gph fuel pump. It says that it does not require a regulator. When the car is idling the fuel pressure guage fluctuates very rapidly between 4-7 psi. The needle moves back and forth very quickly. Does anyone know what could be causing this? The car seems to idle fine although I do have a slight miss that I am trying to figure out.

68 Island Teal
383/700r4
Hotchkis TVS with Global West UCA's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 03, 06:09 PM
Senior Tech

If it is actually the preasure fluctuating it might be an air leak on the intake side of the pump. I'd imagine a leak on the output would of already been spotted. Some place along the line a switcharo has happened with the fuel and return line of the tank and from what I've heard the car will still run but runs bad with that set up. What I'd suspect is actually going on is the pump is reading every squirt of a diaphram pump. Is it electric or a cam driven pump?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 03, 08:44 AM

The fuel pressure gauge is it a fluid filled unit (more expensive type). I installed a non fluid filled fuel pressure gauge at the same time I upgraded to a electric fuel pump and new fuel line. The gauge would bounce around wildly from 3 to 9 psi. I knew the fuel pressure was non changing (fuel pressure regulator), So replaced with a fluid filled unit now it stays steady at 7-psi.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 03, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Garage
Its not a fluid filled one. Its a cheapo one that came with the fuel line in a kit. I'll upgrade the gauge to rule that out.
Thanks,
Greg

68 Island Teal
383/700r4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 03, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech

Hey GregD

I had the same problem with a cheap gage. It drove me crazy. I changed the reg same problem. I installed a BG gage cleared everything up.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 03, 05:47 AM
a67

You can place a snubber in the gauge port. Just need something with a tiny hole (30 thou) in it to dampen the pulsing.

The better gauges have a piece that threads into the port on the gauge itself. Problem is that sometimes they fall out. I've had them jam the regulator open.

Bob.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 03, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Garage
Angry

I ended up getting a liquid filled gauge and it solved the problem. Thanks guys!!

68 Island Teal
383/700r4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode