97 V6 will crank but not fire. Help Please - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Leaving work the other day my 1997 V6 5 spd Camaro with just over 50000 miles just died at a stop light. Not a spit or a sputter. Tach went to 0(and the weird thing speedo went to 50) and that was it. Cranks like a son of a gun but wont fire. Towed it to a shop and they said the fuel pump was bad. Very pricie pump. Towed it home and changed fuel pump(thats not a fun job if anyone has to do it) also changed fuel filter. Cranks like a son of a gun but still wont fire. Have checked all fuses all look good. Have NO IDEA what to do now. The speedo thing keeps bothering me!?!?!? Every time I turn the key to on it goes the 50, the car wont start so it shouldnt be there, never did before. Anyone have these problems or heard of them please let me know. Thanks in advance!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 11:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage
I would check to see if your getting a spark. Buy a spark tester and check each wire to make sure you getting a spark to each cylinder. Its not common, but the iginition modules and/or coils can go bad. If your getting a spark, then start checking the sensors. I would check the MAF sensor, crank sensor, etc. Also I would check the oil pressure sensor located above the oil filter. I broke my oil pressure sensor once and the car would not fire at all. The computer will not fire the car if it can not read the oil pressure. Good luck

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 07:31 PM
Tech Team

Heard gm had a few bad ignition switches around that year, try kicking at base of steering column while turning key. HONEST!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 04:30 AM

Did you check to see if you had fuel pressure after installing the pump. The should be a shrader valve on the injector rail somewhere.
The best way to check it is with a gauge, but if you can't get one, then turn the ignition to run to prime the fuel system and depress the schrader core, But watch out for spraying fuel.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 03, 03:36 AM
Senior Tech

As you've seen by replacing a fuel pump with no improvement ($$$$$$), it may be cheaper in the long run to take it to a GM dealer and let them scan it with a techII scanner and see what the problem is. Kinda sounds to me like the PCM took a dump, but there may be other problems too. It is odd that the speedo goes to 50, that is what makes me think the PCM has problems.

ASE Certified Master Collision Tech
Owner of Daves Restoration.
Wanted- '76 Nova SS
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 03, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Hey Dave, showing my ignorance here, what is a PCM?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 03, 11:31 AM

the speedo is ran from the vss not the ecm....sounds more like two wires are touching that arent supposed to be and is geting a voltage to the speedo ..run down the speedo wire to make sure nothing is shall we say melted to it..you can jump the a and b connections on the aldl and use a test light to see if any codes are set for the ecm or look at the service engine soon light which i think is the engine light in those cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode