Help Please!!! Car Won't Start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 02, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just put in a brand new front wiring harness in my 1968 RS, from M&H wiring. I also just got all of my headlight vacuum hoses hooked up. About 2 hours ago I tried starting my car for the first time after all of this, and it wouldn't turn over and then my battery died so I just thought it was a dead battery. It also hasn't been started for a couple of weeks so I thought it was just cold. After 1 and a half hours of letting my battery charge I went back down to try it. Again it wouldn't turn over. Everything is getting power and it is trying to start but it can't. My father and I then took the headlight hose off the intake and putting the plug back in (thinking there was too much of a vacuum) but again, nothing. The only other thing my father could think of was that when he hooked the wires up to the horn relay he noticed that a couple of connections were rusty and also that it is the the original horn relay so it might be broken. Could this be the problem?
Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 02, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech

Hey, is there any noise at all any clicks or nothing, could be your starter cylinoid is bad or your starter is tired and it just happend to go when you upgrade something else, sound like you have my kinda luck,if it is accesible try jumping across the cylinoid on the starter if it turn over, it is the cylinoid, well goodluck
Jake

------------------
1968 Camaro convertible, 454,th400,3500 stall,8.5 10 bolt,3.90 gears
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 02, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just went down there and the car does turn over but it is like there is no spark so we hooked an idiot light up to the distributor and tried starting the car and we found out there is no power coming from the distributor. Any ideas on what this could be?
Thanks for the reply BB.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 02, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech

Assuming you have points, there should be a resistance power wire coming from the engine side harness and a wire coming from your "R" starter terminal which both should connect to the "+" coil terminal. There should also be a ground wire from running from your distributor to the "-" coil terminal. Check these connections and see if they're there. It's easy to miss a connection somewhere along the line if you replaced everything. Jon
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 02, 06:15 PM
Tech Team

do u have points or hei? are u sure u have power going to the distributr? if u have hei maybe your control module is out.
good luck
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 02, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all of the help. I do have a HEI and we checked the power going to it and coming from it and there was no power either way.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 02, 06:27 AM

Which wire did you use to hook to yhe HEI?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 02, 10:34 AM

i did my own wiring harness. i didn't connect the horn relay cuz i didnt want to. little did i know that the little thing wont let the car start. try cleaning the rusty wires that you mentioned and who knows, it might work. hope it helps and good luck.

------------------
68' 350eng/350trans
88' BMW 735i
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 02, 02:46 PM
Senior Tech

Trace your positive lead down for the HEI and see what's up. You can run directly to the battery for a quick check to get it to fire.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 02, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Stupid me. I just went and bought a brand new horn relay for $40. I put it in and tried starting the car and nothing. Then with the idiot light my dad checked the fuse block and the engine harness side wasn't plugged in all of the way so there was no power going to it. We plugged it in all of the way and tried starting it. BAM, it started right up. I missed the sound of that car so bad it was so nice to here it again. Thanks for all of the help.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 02, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Stupid me. I just went and bought a brand new horn relay for $40. I put it in and tried starting the car and nothing. Then with the idiot light my dad checked the fuse block and the engine harness side wasn't plugged in all of the way so there was no power going to it. We plugged it in all of the way and tried starting it. BAM, it started right up. I missed the sound of that car so bad it was so nice to here it again. Thanks for all of the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode