accelerator pump - carburetor - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 03, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

My 67 Camaro has a Rochester 2-bbl 2GV carb. Am I correct to assume that on a cold morning start, if I pump the accelerator pedal each time, I should get a healthy squirt of gas down the throat and it should continue until I empty the bowl? Reason I ask is because I only get one good squirt and one half of squirt after 3 pumps of the pedal. No more after that. I just had the carb. rebuilt about 4 months ago. Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 03, 08:24 PM
Senior Tech

Not sure of the operation of that carb but generally if you live in cold to freezing weather try doing one good pump all the way to the floor plus some into the carpet to make sure the choke is set closed. At least that what my Dad taught me. Generally you shouldn't need big pumps to prime the intake with fumes. One teaspoon is a stick of dynomite so they say. Here with a locked open mechanical choke I just do two or three light taps to prime. Maybe check to see if the choke is engaged all the way before starting. I think I remember some carbs open the choke up a little when actively pumping the gas pedal which might hinder a cold start if you crank and pump. Cold starts are miserable. You might be loosing power due to cold also. Not sure about your bowl capacity.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 03, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Yes, you should be able to get multiple squirts from pumping, not just 1 1/2 pumps.

You might have a leaky bowl, meaning fuel could be leaking into the engine when setting.

You might have fuel perculation. With the formulation of fuel nowadays, it could be evaporating after engine shut-off. This more pronounced during the summer months, hot temperature.

You can check fuel level by removing the air cleaner and sticking a pipe cleaner down the vent, large 1/4 inch diameter tube sticking up in the middle of the carb, right after shut down and before startup to compare fuel level.

It could be formation again by maybe the fuel "icing" the squirter. If wrong recipe used for the area used in, fuel would freeze in the squirter. I've had this happen to me in the past. Gas pedal became really hard to push when squirter froze.

Or, the check ball at the inlet, bottom of the well, for accelerator piston maybe missing or the ball or seat may have a defect in the seat not allowing a good shutoff of fuel when piston goes down in its cylinder to push fuel out the sqirter.

Before startup, you might remove the air cleaner and open the throttle plates wide open and view with a flashlight to see in intake floor is wet. If it is, carb is leaking.

Others here will have some good suggestions....

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode