Idling problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 99, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

I have an Edelbrock 750 that I rebuilt two or three months ago. Was working perfect until last week. When I start up my car the idling goes up and down between 750rpm to 1000rpm a couple times then finally stops at 900rpm which is where I want it. When I drive it then stop and put it in park it idles at 1100, if I rev it up once it will fall back down to 900rpm. Whats wrong with my carb? Thanks

------------------
83 Z-28 T-Tops
350 4 bolt main
Performer intake
Edelbrock 750cfm
3 chambered flowmaster
TH350 B&M shift kit
3.23 open rear
-Dustin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 99, 09:23 AM

This kind of behavior can be caused by a vacuum leak. Often, after a few months of driving, the new carb gaskets compress a little and allow vacuum leaks.
I would try snugging the carb on the intake mounting bolts first, as I have seen the carb to manifold gasket do this. Then gently snug carb screws. Good luck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 99, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Hey, I tightened all the bolts on the carb and the screws. I got a water bottle and sprayed it around the intake and carb and no signs of a vacuum leak. When the engine is cold, like in the mornings, it idles at 800. After it warms up it idles at around 900 to 1000rpms. If I turn down the idle after its hot, then in the mornings it will not stay running cuz it will be idling at 600rpms. I'd have to hold the gas until it gets hot, then it'll idle at where I set it. Ideas anyone??

------------------
83 Z-28 T-Tops
350 4 bolt main
Performer intake
Edelbrock 750cfm
3 chambered flowmaster
TH350 B&M shift kit
3.23 open rear
-Dustin

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 99, 05:22 PM
Bill

Dustin,
If you can get the motor to idle ok hot and are just having a problem cold, it sounds as though the choke is not working properly . Is the fast idle cam holding the throttle open when the motor is cold and the choke is closed ? If not that is why you are having the problem. Thats the only thing I can think of without the car being in front of me to look at.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 99, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Hey, I have manual choke.. Does that still mean it could be my choke not working properly?? I have not used the choke sinced I've had the carb which is about a year now. I'm in Texas so I don't really need it. Even when hot my idle tends to go up and down. Like when I drive it around then put it in park it idles at 1100 until I rev it up once then it drops to 900. Thanks

------------------
83 Z-28 T-Tops
350 4 bolt main
Performer intake
Edelbrock 750cfm
3 chambered flowmaster
TH350 B&M shift kit
3.23 open rear
-Dustin

[This message has been edited by BlazinZ28 (edited 02-10-99).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode