vibration at highwayspeed help!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 03, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Finaly got to take my 68 out for a spin everything was going fine around town runnin about 35mph decided to get on the highway and when i got the car up to about 55mph i started getting a moderate to bad vibration [img]graemlins/angry.gif[/img] from the rear of the car.The front was just aligned and the tires are new and i know none of the wheels are warped. I had know vibration or pulling in the steering wheel and i can deffinately tell that its coming from the rear of the car.I was told that it could be coming from the universal joint which is old but i dont know how old.Please any help would be great,also want to say that i am pretty new to this site and it is great thinks for any help in advance.

1968 camaro 350,th350,3.55 gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 03, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech

Get somebody behind the car when you drive at different speeds. Could be busted belt in the tire, bent rim, mud on inside of rim, old weights left on rim and or not balanced, bent axle but I'd figure it would be evident at lower speeds a little also, brake pads expanding onto warped or untrue drums and what you already think it might be. Get somebody behind the car following you and to check both sides while driving.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 03, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well the tires are new and the wheels were sand blasted and repainted.When i drove the car last which was about two years ago, just before i started the resto it didnt have this vibration.Everything on the car is new except the driveshaft,uni joint and axels but like i said on the drive before tare down it didnt do it.I do remeber when removing the driveshaft during the resto the caps on the uni joint did fall off but i put them right back on and taped them there until it could be reinstalled,could this have hurt anything?Any other ideas? Thanks

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 03, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

OH yeah ment to say thinks s.gears,but i have already rode behind car and i dont see anything going on out of the ordinary.Car tracks straight,no woble in the tires nothin. [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img]

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 03, 01:37 AM

Had the same problem myself earlier this summer. Pulled the driveshaft to find that it had a small dimple in it. No good shop should try to balance it with that going on. Needless to say once the tube was replaced all was well on the road. If yours was like mine it would come on around 50mph and get really bad around 80 and not get worse at higher speeds. Different roads made the problem seem intermittent too.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 03, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry

Thanks for the reply guys. Changed out the rear uni joint today and took her out for another spin,good news know vibration.Never new that a old uni joint could cause that much vibration,oh well she's fixed and i learned something new.Thanks again. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode