Brake Bleeding - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 00, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Angry

11-11-00

Dear Everyone:

Please help me! I have a 1969 307 (standard) Camaro and I can't get all the air out of the brake lines and establish any kind of reliable pedal (manual brakes). I have had this car for 5 years and it is my everyday driver. New Parts include: Wheel cylinders, master cylinder (3), all 3 brake hoses, checked the pedal adj rod, etc, etc. The thing is possessed by the devil. We took the proportioning valve out. I drive a grade everyday to get downtown. I love this car beyond reason. My husband is a Ford lover and wants to put a lead slug through it. Any clues??

Lone Camaro Lover in Wine Country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 00, 05:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Eastwood sells a vacuum pump for bleeding brakes. It's hard to get all the air out when you have changed all the components as you have. With the pump you can start with the passenger side rear cylinder and once you have good flow you can go on to the rest of the cyliders, then bleed as you would normally.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 00, 06:12 AM
Senior Tech
John

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder (s) prior to installing and bleed ing the system? If not sometimes it will take a very long time if ever to bleed the air out through the wheel cylinders. If the master is bled then I prefer the two person method as follows. Start at the right rear wheel with the bleeder screw closed. Pump the brakes until you have some pedal pressure. If you can not get initial pedal presssure of any sort pump the pedal with the bleeder open until you see fluid coming out. Once you have pedal hold down and open the screw. Repeat this a couple times then the next time close the screw before the pedal is all the way down. This woill prevent the system from pulling air back into the wheel cylinder. It's tedious and takes coordination between the two peolple but it works well for me. My daughter on the other hand hates it. (sore leg) In a Camaro that is not driven to extremes properly adjusted, bled and maintained drum brakes are as effective and efficient as are discs. If I can help anymore let me know. If you noticed I live just down the road. My e-mail is [email protected]. Don't let the Ford guy get to ya.

John

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 00, 05:40 PM
David Pozzi

Make shure the brake shoes are adjusted right, if they are just a little loose, you will have a low pedal.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 00, 07:16 PM
Senior Tech

Follow the advice above and put the lead into his Furd.

[This message has been edited by mutant 68 (edited 11-12-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode