88 z28 ran out of gas - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 02, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

my car ran out of gas and of course now when i start it it dies and when i put my foot on the gas pedal it wont idle it just dies even with my foot on the gas it just runs ragedy i cant even keep it on long enough to move it in my driveway i had the fuel pump motor replaced less than 2 years ago but when i turn the key there is that humming buzzing sound so i hope thats ok cuz last time it cost me quite a bit to replace its just something i would never pay again i love my car but not that much its a iroc z28 1988 3o5 v8 auotomatic my dad tried to fix it now my stereo is dead help thank you to anyone who has any suggestions

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 02, 08:21 PM
SSuperman

The buzzing sound is the fuel pump.
Is the buzzing nonstop or does it cut off after about 5 seconds....
Also with the key in he on position, see if you have any fuel going to the motor, via fuel rail.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 02, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

im not sure about the fuel rail im having someone come out to check it out in tomorrow as for the buzzing sound i think it does cut out after about 5 seconds i dont really know about cars i just dont want to take my car to the shop and everytime i take it in i dont understand what they did but i sure do pay for it one problem after another not to mention im a girl so basiclly they know i dont have a clue i just kind of want a idea of what to do or its going to be some thing major

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 02, 12:55 AM
msb

Running out of gas should not have caused problems. Cycling the key a few times should prime the system back up. Wait 10 sec between tries so the ECM will reset and run the pump again.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 02, 07:40 AM
Tech Team

a prob ive seen with running out of gas is when the tank is never run low then gets ran empty the fuel filter will almost complety clog if u had ne particals in your tank or maybe water in your gas after u ran out did u go to a gas staition u usually do around here ive seen water in gas a few times
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 02, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

well i guess there is fuel running to the fuel lines so from what i understand i guess were going to look at the fuel filter and maybe that will solve my problem
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 02, 09:19 AM
Senior Tech
Don

jamie, did you test the fuel pressure with a good gauge?

The car will actually run with as little as 20 psi, but it should be closer to 38-42.

The buzzing noise could indeed mean the pump sock is restricted. Also parts of the plastic baffles inside the tank could break/flake and cause your problem, as the pump with low fuel could easily pull these pieces into the sock.

I know it's a long way in there to replace the pump, but that's what it sounds like from here.

Good luck!

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS/Z28
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 02, 09:41 AM
DL
Senior Tech
David

Had the same problem here with my Peugeot 1900cc GTi. Every now and then my car just wouldn't accellerate, and sometimes I had to stop and get on the side of the road cause my car would't go anymore. And also when I wanted to leave at my house, I had to leave with 4000rpm and the gaspedal only slightly pushed...(It seemed to help) It sounded as if the engine sucked too much air, or did't get enough fuel. (my opinion was that an engine can never have too much air ) so it would be the fuelpump. We replaced the fuelpump, and it was ready to burn rubber again.

------------------
David
I don't suffer from insanity.....I enjoy every minute of it!
'67 & '68 camaro SS (1:18)
'69 camaro RS/SS (1:18)
'70 chevelle SS blown (1:18)
'32 deuce coupe (1:18)
only $1800 away from a '67 RS (1:1)
Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/camaro_crew
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/dl
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 02, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

well changed the fuel filter and that didnt do a thing! no actully i have not checked the fuel pressure how would you go about that?the guy who came outto see my car said its not the pump but he also couldnt figure out the cause of my problems he says maybe some sort of a sensor but who knows thanks for all your help i really appreciate it
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 02, 02:13 PM
Senior Tech

How does that guy that came out to see your car know it is not the pump without taking fuel pressure??Don't change a single thing until someone WHO KNOWS WHAT HE OR SHE IS DOING checks out the fuel pressure!!!! It's possible the pump got damaged from running dry if it is the original pump which in your case is old.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 02, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

well he had done work on the car when someone else owned it but i think your right and ill just take it to the shop thank you for all your help
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 02, 07:36 PM
Senior Tech

Jamie,
why don't you take this oppertunity to learn about your car- get a service manual and read up on the theory of how the engine and related systems work. it is actually pretty simple, and what guy wouldn't want a girlfriend that can wrench on a car?
oh, by the way, welcome aboard. hope to see you around here a lot- to help you with your automotive education, that is.. this is probably the best place on the web to learn about these things.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 02, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

actully i do have the manual for my car its funny cuz i read it but i dont really understand everything but i am learning and thanks everyone who replied was very helpful and after everyone being so nice im sure ill be around thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but i think i better work on finding a boyfriend who could fix my car then i dont have to dirty my hands!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 06:33 AM

I have a tire valve that I put a tire needle taker offer I don't know what its really called but any ways you can get one at a tire shop. Follow the fuel lines in the engine compartment and you should see a black sometimes white cap that looks like the ones on the Accumulator. Take this cap off (On fuel lines) then use the needle remover to remove the needle inside the fuel line. Once removed ask someone to turn the key to the on position (Not for a long time gas is going to gush out). If gas comes out then gas is passing threw the pump. I made myself a guage using the old R-12 recharge hose. Has the same thread. Bought a guage at auto parts store and secured it with clamps. This is how I check fuel pressure. You can reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes.

[This message has been edited by 4U 2 NV (edited 03-04-2002).]
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 07:32 AM
Senior Tech

Greetings Jamie,
in the post from 4u 2 nv, he mentions removing a needle valve from a line to check your fuel pressure and to see if you are getting fuel thru the lines. I would not suggest you doing that for safety reasons. Also in your posts, you have not mentioned if your car has a carburetor or if it has multiport fuel injectors. If it is fuel injected, there is a cap (if it hasn't been removed at some point)similar to a tire valve cap on the aft right hand fuel rail. This is where you check your fuel pressure using a fuel pressure gage that you can buy or rent from most auto parts stores. The hose on the gauge has a connector that screws down on that fitting on the fuel rail and depresses the needle valve in it. Your fuel pressure should be around 40 psi. If your car has a carburetor on it, there is probably some trash blocking the fuel jets.
Also in your last post, you mentioned working on finding a boy friend who could fix you car so you wouldn't have to get your hands dirty. What happens if the car breaks down and he isn't around.
Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode