Holley carbs? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 02, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

I bought my 69 SS with a non original engine whis has a smallish Holley carb on it. How can I tell which Holley carb it is? I've casually looked for numbers, but up til now haven't found any I could make sense of.
Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 02, 03:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

You should be able to pull some numbers off the front of the air horn. Then we can decode.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,Autogear M22,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 02, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Look on the front of the air horn, you'll find a "LIST XXXX" number.

Take the number and go to Holley's site and match up their number, or post here and I can look up in their catalog.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 02, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Thanks guys. I'll try to look that up today and post it after work today.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 02, 06:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Try this, http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSer...erv.html#Email

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 02, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

I got the numbers. They are:

List 1850-3
What kind of Holley is this and how do you adjust it? Thanks in advance for the help.
John
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 02, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
It is:
Model # 4160, meaning it has a metering plate on the secondary side vs a metering block.

600 cfm, vacuum secondary control, standard primary metering block, meaning when adjusting idle mixture, CW leans, CCW richens.

Requires Renew Kit #37-119 or Trick Kit #37-933. Has #66 main jets, 6.5 power valve, &.025 discharge nozzle for primary pump nozzle.

Use a vacuum gauge to register full intake vacuum and adjust for highest reading.

CXarb/engine should run great providing its a stock engine.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 02, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Thanks Everett! What are those small screws on both sides of the primary "bowl". They look like they are for adjusting and a guy at NAPA told me to adjust those. He said turn them in til the engine starts to die and then out 1 1/2 turns. The one on the drivers side does have an effect-engine starts to die when the screw is almost snug, but the one on the passenger side doesn't seem to do anything. I thought the idle mixture screws were in the base of the carb in the throttle "plate"? Thanks again for the help.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 02, 05:40 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Start by gathering refrence material. There are several Holley publications that go through a complete rebuild and tuning and you get pictures as well. http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/Sales/S.../SrvLtrtr.html The holley web site gives lots of good info as well http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSer...o/FMCTech.html is a must along with http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSer...o/Trblsht.html

The idle adjustment screw is in the base plate and opens and closes the primary butterflys to set the idle. The 2 smaller screws are the rich - lean idle mixture screws and are in the primary metering block. One screw on each side. You were told wrong or mis-understood about their adjustment. the best way I can tell you is to start with both screws 1 1/2 turns out. Then adjust them for highest idle or most vacuum. To do so with the engine running and warmed up turn the screw in a little at a time until the engine starts to stumble and then slowly turn it back out until it smooths out. Then give it about 1/8th to 1/4 more. Do the other side the same and then shut the engine down. Now go back and count the turns for each screw as you turn them back in. You want them both the same so split the difference in the 2 of them and turn them both back out.

I really caution you though to read as much as you can before making adjustments and always know where the settings were before making changes so you can put it back if you mess up!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode