Power windows - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

I have a 96 Camaro and this problem has just arised.
The driver side power window will not roll-up or down in one motion. It will go down or up about an inch then stop. After a few minutes it will work again, for about an inch.
The passenger side has no problems.
Does anyone have any trouble shooting tips?
Please advise

Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 10:58 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Hang a sign; "In case of emergency break glass" and have a little hammer mounted to it... Sorry just being silly...

I can't imagine a short or open motor being that consistant (only working an inch or so at a time) I would look into loose hardware, I think the glass isn't aligned right and binds after an inch or so then given no more pressure the binding relaxes and it's able to go the next inch or so... The driver window in '96's are as slow as all get out anyway!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 02, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Dennis, be nice, you forgot to tell the newbie "Welcome to the Club." You're forgiven.

Just follow Dennis's suggestion. But I'd also try and find some silicone spray or grease and lubed the weatherstripping in the window channels. It sounds like the motor is tripping its thermal breaker due to too much load.

I will say Dennis's idea with the hammer is a good one. I say this b/c when a car is under water, & you have power windows, one cannot get out UNTIL the interior has filled up with water and the pressure has equalized.

One of the most easiest tools is a spring-loaded center punch. There cheap, can be bought at Harbour Freight, Northern Handyman, etc. Stores well in glove box. Just place tool in corner of window by the outside mirror breathe in and hold,and push -- slazzam -- no window!! It just shattered. Swim to safety!!

I'll say it -- "Welcome to the Club"

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode