Steering Box - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry

Does anyone know how to tighten up the "play" in a steering box? My 73' Camaro is all over the road. I think that I have two bad power steering hoses, but that should have nothing to do with the "play", right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech

There is a large thin looking nut where the shaft goes into the gear box from the steering wheel. The thin looking nut is the lock nut, the inner nut has two small holes to turn it. The inner nut is the actual end play adjustment. After tighting that, then loosen the nut on the bolt directly above the pitman shaft, on top of the gear box. As you turn the steering shaft back and forth (slack only) gently tighten the screw but not to tight, and retighten the jam nut.

If it is road walking though, it likely has loose idler arm, tie rod ends, or the tow in is off.

Larry
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 05:24 PM
Tech Team

on top of the steering box you should see an alen screw you will have to losen the retaining bolt then tighten the screw but it sounds more like you have something going out I would check the tie rod idler arm all the steering componets sound like something is wearing out start with new hoses so you have no leaks

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 07:53 PM
David Pozzi

Do the adjusting with the steering centered- straight ahead.
There is a tight spot built into the gears for straight ahead, you need to adjust it there or the steering will be too tight when driving straight down the road.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Lightbulb

Ok, I have solved the problem of "play" in the steering wheel but it still has a slight road walk to it. What are the symptoms of a worn out steering box? I would have a hard time believing that the idle arm, pitman arm or tight end rods are bad because I replaced them in 94' with beefier parts from an 82' IROC or Z28.(I really can't remember.)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech

Hey Gads,

1994 was almost 7 years ago, how often do you drive this car, and do you grease these parts often?

I say again check the tow in, if it's towed out it will walk.

Larry
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 01, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Unhappy

Hmmm.... I guess that I don't know as much about steering as I thought. This car has seen less than 4ooo miles since 94'. I grease everything every time I change the oil. (Which is every six months.) What is toe in and toe out? I have checked the bolts on the pitman and idler arm. I may have a bad seal on the pitman arm and plan on replacing it. So what you are saying is that I need to have an alignment done on the car? Thanks for your previous help. Oh, I also changed the power steering hoses yesterday and that was not the problem.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 01, 04:57 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

Hey Gads,

It is hard to check toe in/out, without the equip to do it. I don't know of an easy way to explain, mabe think of your front tires as pidgen toed, or bow leged. The front tires need to be pointed in just enough to pre load the front end to make it more stable. Like 1/16 inch. There is nothing uniform enough on the car to measure from, so you need to paint a line on the center of the tire while rotating the tire, then scribe a thin line in the paint before it dries. The only way to get this measured properly is at center and you can't do this with a tape measure, and this is where you need a toe in gague.

Whew, I sure am glad I kept this simple, this could get long ha ha.

Larry
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 01, 04:59 PM
Senior Tech

I almost forgot, yes get your front end alined.

Larry
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 01, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Cool

Wow, I am impressed with this forum! The answers I have received have been most helpful. I will get it aligned and that should also take care of the problem. This was a problem with the previous owner. When we built the car we put 3/4 ton equivilent coils in the front and fiberglass mono springs in the rear. She rides real rough but tight. I wonder if that could be a cause of this problem??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode