temp gage neadle re adjusting - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 02, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i have replaced the sending unit. and when i un pluged the sending unit the gage. neadle only drops 1/3 of the way to cold.i cant even get the gage out to replace it. removed one screw in the back that seems to hold the back two gages in place but it wont budge.on the neadle noticed a philups type mounting at the bottom of the neadle. is this how you adjust it?my temp gage has always read hot even when my car is cold.how do you replace or adjust the gage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 10th, 02, 02:36 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Theres no way to adjust a console mounted temperature gauge. You can respan the guage by changing the resistor that is across the two rear studs at the back of the gauge. The stock resistor is 84 Ohms and it normally results in the gauge reading one mark above 1/4 scale at a coolant temperature of 180 degrees. Changing the resistor to 91 ohms will make the gauge read 1/2 scale at the same temperature.

The gauge is held into the cluster by nuts on three studs at the back of the gauge. The bottom nut is actually the ground connection for the gauge, there should be a good ground connection from this stud to the metal plate the gauges are mounted to, and there should be a connection to ground from this plate.

The front screw holds the mechanical parts of the gauge to the faceplate. If your sure the guage works right (goes up scalle when hot and donwscale when cold) you can CAREFULLY pull the needle off the post of the guage and put it back on in the right location. Make sure you have the right sender installed as well.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 10th, 02, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

mark canning thank you for the reply. do you take the gage neadle and pull it straight off then stick it where i want it? and do you have to pull your whole center councel to see the three nuts on the gage?i have the lense cover off and cant see behind the gage to do any thing.my gage is starting 1/3 of the way now. should i pull the neadle or try to get the gage out and change the resistor, and what resistor will make it start at the bottom on cold?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 10th, 02, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

If you need to pull the gauge out (and you would to replace the resistor) then the whole cluster has to come out of the console. If the gauge starts at 1/3 scale and goes up to about 2/3 when the engine is hot, I wouold just pull the needle of and reposition if.

The needle is just pressed onto the center pin of the guage. You can pull it straight off but you must be carefull not to bend it. Apply even pressure under the cylinder that the needle attaches to, don't pry from one side and don't pull on the needle itself. A fork works well if you can get a small one, slide the tines under the cylinder on the pin and pry upwards. Be carefull not to bend the face of the gauge (where the C and H are) as they are just made of thin aluminum and bend easy. The needle will pop off all at once so try not to launch it across the car. Put the needle back on pointing at the C (assuming the engine is cold) and press it back on with the end of your finger. Push it straight on, don't let it turn or it may not end up pointing at the C when you get done. Don't push to hard, just enough to get it back on the pin. Put the cover back on the cluster and see what it reads when it heats up.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 02, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thank you mark canning. i pulled the gage neadle today with a fork.never would have thought of that,thank you.neadle is on c now when cold how far should it go when car is warmed up?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 02, 01:59 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

See my first reply. About 1 line above the 1/4 scale mark with a 180 thermostat.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 02, 03:37 PM
Senior Tech

Guys,

noticed the same problem with my gauge when cold, it's about 1/4 of yhe way. However, when I start the car, the needle automatically goes to the far left (cold). Upon hwy driving, it climbs to 3/4 of the way, closer to hot. Running a 160 degree thermo BUT 3 core radiator.......going to put a new 4 core in........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode