over heating 69 - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 01, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Question

I have a 69 with a 350, rebuilt about a year ago. Ever since I had this motor built, it seems to want to overheat when i first start running, until it reaches about 240F and then, for the rest of the day it will run at a steady 180F. Its only from the time it heats up to about 10 miles down the road it will do this. Letting it warm up helps a little and sometimes it won't do this at all. Ive changed the thermostat and the radiator is new. all the hoses are also new. Im stuck. It seems like a flow problem but, strangely only at first. Any ideas? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 01, 06:32 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Hey, mine does the same thing. It had aftermarket guages in it when I bought it with a mechanical temp guage with the sending unit in the head. I put the factory console guage cluster in the car. At first start-up it goes over to hot then when what I think is happening is the temp guage doesnt swing back twards normal until the thermostat opens up. On mine after that my temp guage stays right in the middle. Now my sending unit is in the intake manifold. I want to find out the right location for the sending unit. If this is any help let me know. Good luck.

------------------
Black 69 camaro
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 01, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech

is it the Stock fan, shroud combo? I have a 160 in mine with a 6blade aluminum fan (no shroud) it runs steady all day @ 160-175

I can let it sit there ideling all day and it dont overheat. even with no shroud... hows the lower radiator hose? is the metal coil still in it? I had a kid take it out on their car and wondered why the car kept overheating, because the hose was collapsing in on itself thus cutting off water flow..

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 01, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

HotRod69, i was thinking that this gauge thing could be it. They are mechanical in the head (cheap Sun products). I was thinking that because the head was not circulating water this could be the problem......Id like to get a hold of the original counsol setup. By the way mine is black also, but not originally.. i think that the original tuxedo black are rare? is yours one? later
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 01, 01:31 PM
Senior Tech

it could be your T-Stat. mine did this until i put in a high flow T-Stat. now no problem.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 01, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Hey gearhead well now I have the sending unit in the intake. still goes full hot at the first start up only. when I swap motors I'll put it in the head and try a robertshaw hi flow t- stat. the one I have is new but I'll try a free flow. I got my console guages from camaro specality in ney york. they were used but work perfect as he said they would. I paid top dollar but I have no complaints. As for color my car was originally hugger orange with black deluxe hounds tooth int. talk at ya. later

------------------
Black 69 camaro
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 01, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Hey guys, where can i get this high flow T-stats? local parts shop or who carries these? thanks for all the help, this place is great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode