Help needed with Hays Clutch and Pressure Plate - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 18th, 02, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a basic street performance Hays clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. 11 inch diaphragm type. I am having trouble with what seems to be the clutch not disengaging completely. For instance, when starting the car, it lurches forward. And shifting is nearly impossible. The disc is installed properly. There is no problem with pilot bushing. I have plenty of adjustment on the clutch linkage. It's as if some component in this set-up is incorrect. My Chilton's manual mentions 2 types of throw out bearings that are different lengths. One is 1 7/8 inches and the other is 1 1/4 inches. Mine is 1 7/8. The manual also says that the shorter one was used with all V-8's. Do I possibly have the wrong bearing? It came with the clutch package. I just assumed it was correct. Foolishly, I didn't compare it to the old one before tossing it in the trash. Also what are lever blocks that are mentioned in Hays' instruction sheet? It says, "Remove lever blocks after installation. Do not leave lever blocks in the assembly." The only thing that looked removable were 3 triangular pieces that were bolted onto the pressure plate. Are these the lever blocks? What is the reason for these and if you remove your pressure plate at some point, do these need to be re-installed and removed again upon installation? I guess you can tell I don't have much experience in this area. Any ideas that can help me would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 05:04 AM
Senior Tech

You say the clutch pedal is adjusted,...do you have 1/2 to 1 inch play in the pedal?

If so, and you still still have engagement problems (actually disengagement problems) I'd say you have a wrong part. Did you replace the clutch fork?

And yes, there are two different throw-out bearings...you might check with Hays to see what they sent and double check the part number.

Lever blocks? Beats me...perhaps someone else knows what they are.

Let us know what you find out.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
The thin t/o bearing is for V8's, the longer is for 6-cylinder engines. If it feels like the clutch is not disengaging, then I would say you've got the wrong t/o bearing.

I'm sure you've adjusted clutch free play as suggested by Sleepy, probably should have replaced both pivot balls for the clutch shaft as well as the pivot ball for the clutch fork, plus the clutch fork itself.

Lever blocks, LOL, kind of like relative bearing grease? New one on me, never heard of them. Did you read instructions?

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 29th, 02, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Sleepy and Everett, Thanks for the replies. I installed a Zoom OEM replacement clutch kit and it works fine. I have no clue what the problem was with the Hays set-up. I was mistaken about the length of the t/o bearing in the Hays kit. It is in fact 1 1/4 inches, which is correct. The only noticeable difference is the disc in the Zoom kit is about .015 inch thinner. Maybe considering the condition of all my components(fork, linkage, etc.) that thickness difference was enough to give me a problem. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode