MSD Ignitoin - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 03, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

How do you know witch springs to use on the new Pro Billet Distributer I was doing some research on my cam specs and I still couldn't tell witch ones to use. my cam specs are 270HR; 500int. and 512 exh. thats with roller lifters and rockers.

Any advice is appericated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 03, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

If you are running a 350, shoot for about 36 Degrees from a total of centrifugal plus the initial. You want to start with the lightest spring set and work your way up stiffer by one spring at a time. The curve should not start until about 1000-1200 RPM or so. If you have no WOT ping, you are in the ballpark. If you have ping, you need a stiffer spring until you don't have ping anymore. Hopefully you have the advance bushing where you want it first. We hope you will run a vacuum advance after all the curve tuning is done but not all distributors will have it.

-Mark.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 03, 04:13 PM
Senior Tech

stingr has the right idea. I just prefer to work it the other way. Start heavy (or medium actually) and then progressivly lighten the springs until it starts to ping. Then back up a step by changing one spring to a heavier spring. The two springs don't have to be the same weight.

It's probably OK to start with the light springs first, provided your compression ratio isn't too high. I'm just afraid that my first test might be my last if the engine detonates.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 03, 04:43 PM

Mine worked out to be 1 light blue spring and 1 light silver spring. The centrifugal advance starts around 1300 rpm and is all in by 2500. Set your total timing at 36 deg. and then set your initial timing by changing the bushings included with the distributer. The blue (2nd largest) bushing will give you 15 deg. initial timing with the total set at 36. This should be about right. If you`re hearing any pinging you need to go stiffer on the springs. An engine is in detonation long before you ever hear it. Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode