Help !!!!! No Heat - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Well it's 20 degrees here in Maryland and My 96 Z28 has no heat HELP!!!!
I bleed the system and I have heat.Alot. Run the car In the shop and for a long time no problem, plenty of heat. Take It out on the road and in no time no heat. Engin temp is fine. Fan is OK
I don't get. I realy don't wont to start replacing parts with out not knowing whats wrong. Thanks, I hope

[This message has been edited by punchy (edited 12-06-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 07:10 AM
Senior Tech

Do you know if coolant is getting to your heater core? There is a vacuum operated switch on the inlet hose to the core. Also need to make sure the door is moving inside by the heater core. This allows warm are to pass thru the heater core drawing the heat from the coolant and thus warming you up. May just be a vacuum problem from the controls to some actuater servos under the dash.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 11:13 AM
Senior Tech

Pressure check the system ASAP, that will help you determine why you are getting air bound, also check the cap for poops and giggles.
My .02

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 02:09 PM
David Pozzi

Here's my theory,
Your thermostat is bad and stuck open.
When you test it in the shop, the temperature is controlled by the electric fan which doesn't come on until around 205 degrees.

When you drive down the road, air is forced through the radiator core and the engine temp goes down because the thermostat is open.

If you changed to a lower temp thermostat like a 160 degree one, that will do the same thing.
I don't understand why the engine temp would show OK when this happens. It should be reading too low.
Also if the coolant gets too low in the system, the water pump will not pump anymore.

Any leaks?
Check for bubbles in the coolant that would indicate a leaking head gasket. If it leaks enough, it could blow coolant out of the system.

Also check the coolant reservoir hose for plugging. Remove the hose from near the cap and blow through it, you should see bubbles in the tank.
I've seen them plug but only in dirty conditions. Then the tank will fail to replensih the sysetem.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 12-06-2000).]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 00, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Thank to all. I have put a new thermosat in(no change) so I will start with all the other sugestion. Thanks again guys
I really appreciate all of your help.
I will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode