Distributor don't fit ?? Please help ! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 02, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

just put a 396 in my 68 Camaro, done everything right right down to all correct mounts and brackets. This 396 I bought from a guy who had it in his chevelle and was running ok with a HEI. Now a HEI won't fit in my body (believe me it won't) so I bought a pertronix and put it in a small block chevy points type dist. Now the dist won't go all the way in, there is 1/8 of an inch missing and while it is there (1/8 from all the way down) it does not spin when I turn over the motor by hand. I know everyone will tell me the oil pump is not aligned correctly, believe me I tried it and I know from experience that when it's just the oil pump not engaged, the dist. will turn when you turn over the engine. And when the oil pump is not engaged, from my recollection, it's more than 1/8 that is not all the way in. I checked with a flash light and the cam gear seems ok and so does the dist gear. I always tought that small block distributor fit in big blocks but now I am not sure anymore. If anyone could think of something, that would be a tremendous help.

desperately,

Frank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 02, 03:17 PM
Senior Tech

Small block, big block....makes no difference.....EXCEPT for the tall deck truck style big block block....possibly You got a distributer for a tall deck (not likely, but anything cn happen).....compare the length with the one You pulled out of the engine......Good Luck...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 02, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech

Frank,

Take the two dist's, and hold them oppsite of one another. Put the gear on one on the flange of the other where it touches the intake, and the gear of the other one should touch the flange where it touches the intake. This will compare the length. If they are the same look inside the gear to see if they are different where the oil pump shaft fits. As a rule all these dist's should inner change. There are some cases where you need to get a spacer kit to make up the difference or it will kill your oil pump. Summit, or Jegs should have a kit just for this purpose.

Larry
www.lnjstreetrods.com

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 02, 02:30 AM
Senior Tech

hey, i have a 68, that i bought the correct bb frame mounts from ricks 1st gen and also the correct engine mounts and my 454 went in nicely and has more room for the hei , i can retard or advance it more than i need and it still doesn't touch the firewall. i did not dent or mark my firewall in any way. my front sub frame is aligned perfect, you might want to check your alignment as that could throw you off by an inch or so and that would make difference for hei clearance. the alignment whole are 5/8 in size and are located outboard of the front most sub frame to body mounts, goodluck i will send some pics of mine,
Jake

------------------
1968 Camaro convertible, 454,th400,3500 stall,8.5 10 bolt,3.90 gears
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 02, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

What a fool I've been ! I figured it all out last night when I compared my dist with a HEI I had at home. I should be ashamed ! I put the dist gear upside down ! It's funny some obvious things like that happen. I'm sure you've all had something that stupid happen once. Thanks for all who helped !

...have a nice day Camaro guys !

Frank.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 02, 04:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Frank,

You're right, we all make mistakes! I do appreciate you letting everyone know that you figured it out and what it was. A lot of people post questions and never re-post to let us know the outcome.

Jody
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 02, 03:43 PM
Team Member
John

While you've got it out, make sure the little dot on the distributor gear is aligned with the tip of the rotor, or you won't be able to set timing without having the vacuum can hit the intake or the plug wire stand.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 02, 04:42 PM
Senior Tech

Frank,

You're a BIG man to tell this, and I'm like Jody a lot of people don't ever let every one know the out come even if mistakes are made. Glad you figured it out.

Larry
www.lnjstreetrods.com
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 02, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

Thanks JohnZ about the dot trick. I knew it but just for the past two weeks. I never thought of that before and when this guy told me, it really made sense. In the past, when I "shimmed" distributors, I always made sure I put the gear in the same position as I removed it but did not know about the dot. Thanks again.

Frank.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 02, 02:39 AM
Senior Tech

Well I have learned something new today. I never realized thats what the dot was for . Thanks guys

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode