Not camaro sevice engine soon - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 02, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

This isn't a camaro problem but maybe I can pick a few brains.I have a 99 Tahoe 5.7 engine. On the way home from the Louisville swap meet today (about 100 miles) my service engin soon light came on.It runs fine under normal driving but if you kit it to the floor it has no get up and go,you can kick it down and it will shift to passing gear, rpms come up but wont run over 70 until you let off and let it shift.Does the same thing in low when taking off from a dead stop it runs up to about 40 wont go any faster until you let of gas and let it shift.Like I said it runs fine driving normal but you can feel a lack of power. Any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 06:08 AM
Senior Tech

Pull codes and see what's going on.It's probably in 'limp home mode' which is why it's running at reduced power.Take a paper clip and join A-B together in data link connector and count the flashes of the check eng light.Code 12 will ALWAYS flash first 3 times and then other codes will follow.12 just means the computer is not receiving ignition reference pulses because you check codes with key on engine off.You will get 12 even on a car with no problems.It's letting you know computer is okay and is responding.watch carefully as the light starts flashing.A code 24 for example would go flash flash pause flash flash flash flash.Get it.It will do this 3 times then go to next code.See what you get then post back.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Can this be done with OBD 2

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 07:55 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I don't know if you can do that with OBD-II...don't you have OBD-III? I believe the OBD-II uses a very comprehensive scanning tool.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 350, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

It's OBD 2 Light stays on no flashing this tells me it's a emmissions problem, when flashing it's a miss fire problem. Thanks any more ideas. I think it's going to go to the shop my snap on scanner only goes to 95 and OBD2 started in 96
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 08:22 AM

Go to the dealer and have them hook up the OBD II scanner. There is a new "cheap" scanner out from Snap-on that only checks and erases codes. It's neat, you don't have to enter VIN either.

SES lights are covered 5/50..I take it you're over 50?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Yep! 60,000 miles. I took it to the dealer to have it scanned. My wifes cousin is the service manager there.While I was at the dealership dropping off the Tahoe I was looking at a 2002 Monte SS red with the ground effects package.Looks like I might have a Tahoe for sale.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 06:12 PM
David Pozzi

fuel filter?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech

What a bonehead I am! You did say 99 and I read your post as 89.They probably didn't have a Tahoe in 89 either.Forget everything I said.I'll go sit in the corner now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode