Running Hot - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 02, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Here's the problem: my car is running hot. I've replace the fan switch, fan motor, fan sensor, relay, the bottom hose, the thermostat (twice, and I am currently driving without one), and the computer box. The radiator has been repaired, and the fan is wired so that whenever i turn my car on, the fan will automaticly run. I have coolant in the radiator. Every time my car sits for hours at a time, when I start it up blue smoke comes out of the tail pipe. Now it's running hot again.

What to do? What to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 02, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech

What temp is it running at? and when? is it running hot on the freeway or at idle and stop and go. what year/engine is your car. do you have a fan shroud. have any of the factory air dams been broken off. a lot of cars rely on the air dams to create negative pressure under the car this causes more air to rush through the rad to fill the partial vac. under the car while driving. same goes for the fan shroud. Also remember modern closed systems are designed to operate between 190-210 degrees. if you compromise any part of the total system its very easy to push it over the edge.
Milan

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 02, 05:59 PM

Do you keep having to add water? Sounds like a bad head gasket or cracked head. Have the coolant system pressure checked. It wouldn't happen to be an 81 305, would it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode