90 CAMARO OVERHEATING - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 99, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

PLEASE HELP!!!
I own a 90 Camaro V-8 and have since new! It seems to be allergic to summer! What's happening is after the engine has been running on a warm day and the temp gets up there... if you turn the motor off, it won't restart for about an hour. The fan seems to be working, and yes the air dam is in place! I've had several mechanics look at this problem and no-one seems to be able to figure it out! I've replaced the alternator three times, we're on our third starter, have completely replaced the cooling system to include the radiator, etc. Any suggestions?? I really love this car and would like to get back to the point where it's reliable again. Any help you could give me would be appreciated!
Burning up in California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 99, 03:14 PM
Bill

Troy,
First of all, how hot is hot. GM's electric fans do not turn on until 245 Degrees so anything up to that point is not really consedered too hot. Since you have had the car from new, has it always run as hot as it is now ? If not, did something change just prior to the problem starting, maybe a non related part being changed ? If so, maybe you should look at that.
Next, you say the car will not start for about an hour. Will the starter turn over and the motor just not fire and run ? If the starter is turning the motor over, then the next step is to go back to the three basic items that a motor needs to run, Compression, Fuel and Spark. I would assume that the compression is ok because once the motor does start it runs ok. So that leaves fuel and ignition. Have you checked fuel pressure during the time that the motor will not start ? Was it within GM's published specs ? Have you checked spark output at the same time ? Also within specs ? Are the injectors "firing" at the correct time or at all ?
If you have fuel, compression, and spark the motor should run !
Some of these tests are going to require some special equipment to do . Any up to date shop should have the equipment, and as long as the problem will occur for them, they should be able to track down the cause. If you need help finding a good shop check out this site: www.iatn.net
Now, if the starter is NOT turning the motor over, you have a completely different problem to troubleshoot. This could either be electrical, or something mechanical wrong with the starter.
Heat can affect many items on a car, both mechanical and electrical but I think if you do the above tests, while the car is in the "no-start" condition, you will find the problem.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 99, 07:13 PM
Jay

My friend had the same problem a while back. From what he told me, the problem is that when the starter gets overheated it needs more amperage to spin, after an hour or so it cools down and the spins with less amperage and the car starts. He ended up buying a starter solenoid heat shield and the problem went away. www.classicindustries.com also has a part called "Hot shot starter solution" part # 30202 for $35. It works by boosting available amperage to the starter solenoid. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode