750 mighty demon leaking - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i have one of the new mighty demons which is suddenly showing a leak from under both float bowls every morning. it runs along the bottom plate and ends up dripping down the intake front an back. this carb is brand new the only help barry grant offered was to lower the fuel level which didnt help any body else have this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech
Don

I had the exact same problem with a 625 street version.

After sitting overnight, fuel would be found on the manifold...after it warmed up, it wouldn't leak.

Of course I replaced the bowl gaskets, tightened the heck out of the bowl screws...
still leaked.

I took a straight edge to the metering blocks...perfect...

I sent that thing back to Summit, and went back to the Holley...

I think the bowls were bad.....

Please post what you find, I'm still interested.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 06:10 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

how about your fuel pressure? do you have any idea what it might be, a gauge etc.? that sounds pretty strange. i've had great luck w/ my 750 demon, and know many others w/ them that have had good luck. it could be excessive pressure causing it to leak out the throttle shafts. let us know, i'm interested to know whats up.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 06:25 PM
Senior Tech

Same with my 750 dp, I took it to a friend and he tore it apart and found metal pieces that broke off where it is tapped for the float adjustment and pluged the thing up. It caused a vacuum and covered my manifold with gas and fill the inside of the manifold and some of the cyclinders with gas...that was a fun one.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 02, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

my fuel pressure is at 6-7 pounds im using a new moroso billit fuel regulator with a aftermarket TPS fuel pump utilizing the return lines. pressure drops immiadetly after turning off the fuel pumps, the gauge is a new autometer mounted right at the regulator. i think i will take jendons advice and pull it off and check the bowls. in the sights the fuel is at the lower settings but right after instalation maybe 1-2 days into break in i had to suddenly lower the rear level. usually demons are right on out of the box an this carb was picked out an sent to me by barry grant as soon as they could put it together ill let you all know soon. i know it was pullin over 400 horse as it ate the 500 horse tranny pump in 1 day after raising the chip from 5000 to 6300. and ran in the 12 on g tech thanks

------------------
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old May 24th, 02, 07:02 AM
Senior Tech

My "mighty demon" leaked once. I got a shot from the doctor and it cleared right up

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old May 24th, 02, 05:38 PM

Storman, can you give your opinion on the new Mighty Demon? Well, other than the leak, of course. You are the first person that has said they have one. What size did you get?

------------------
Pics of my 69, UPDATED
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old May 25th, 02, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

other than the fuel leak that i havent had the time to address yet im very impressed. the throttle response is excellent right out of the box, going through there web site and asking for there suggestion was a great idea. i was going to put a 1050 or 950 on this motor as my friend has a very similar motor with less cam and heads than me and it works great for him, but barry grant said i would only need the mechanical 750. i dont plan to run this motor past 7000 rpm and have had it to 6400 under load with great results. during tuning i was informed by a friend that the motor was reving to 7000 when kicked from a idle with 6000 chip in the box. im impressed as for the guy who had to get the shot i wonder if he ever figured out what guy gave him the drips.!!!!!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old May 28th, 02, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

well taking the mighty demon apart proved a waist of time clean as a whistle. however i had noticed that the leak after running on the edges of baseplate was discolored didnt know why after removing the fuel bowls i can see why. the discolored leak is the same color as the non stick bowl gaskets? tightned every thing up but havent reinstaled yet we shall see.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 02, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

well putiing the carb back on i no longer had a outer fuel leak a new front bowl gasket solved that. now the bowls are drainig into the motor over a 15 hour period go figure what next.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 08:42 PM
Senior Tech

Get rid of it...thats what I did. Call SEAN at SMI fuel systems 174-842-1881 ext3. He builds custom carbs.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 06:49 AM

I have been hearing a lot of mixed reactions from the new demons. I'm going to get a 690 Qjet for my stock Chevy Hi-rise Qjet manifold.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 08:38 PM
Senior Tech

typo on the area code.. it's 714
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks for the advice to get rid of it but i dont think i can just toss a $500 carb and 50 dollar line set up. anybody else had any problems with Demons an what were your experiences but dont vendor bash.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 05:05 PM

When you took the bowls off did you check the seal to make sure that it was level and true? They may look square but sometimes they come out off just a little. I had a Holley that had a similar problem. i leveled and squared the bowl ends with a fine hand file and it did the trick. Just be careful and do not take a lot of material off! Check to see, you never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode