steering column lock up - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Red face

I have a 1969 Camaro, 327, 4 speed manual that I can't get to start it seems like the steering column is locked up. I need to know how to go about this repair. Symptoms: unable to remove the car from the last gear position, turn the key to the start position, or move the steering wheel at all. Please help for I am lost.... thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 11:27 AM
Kevin

Radh2o, your column lockout assembly is jammed. Grasp the lower part of your steering column, just behind the key switch and turn counter clockwise. If it does not move, try it with the key in the on position.

The reverse trans lever is attached via rods to the column (looks like column shift thingy) then up the column to the inside ign. switch then to the steering wheel lock pin.

It sound like this assembly is binding on something, causing all your problems.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 04:14 PM
Tech Team

I agree, I have a '69 with this lockout mechanism, something is definitely jammed in the reverse lockout mechanism. I jammed mine when I first got the car becuase I did not know it needed to be in reverse to get the key out, and ended up forcing it the first time, which wreaked havoc on the system. If you can get the gear shifter to move, try and get it into reverse before attempting to do anything with the column or ignition. You may have to go under the car and manually manipulate the rods until you are able to get it free if none of the above suggestions work.

Camaro350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode