CARB HELP!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 01, 05:44 PM
rogleete

Exclamation

I have the worst time with carbs.. I'm on my 3rd one, 2 holleys and now a supposively "no maintenance out of the box running" edelbrock 600cfm manual choke carb

it was working fine..now it seems to be flooding out for some reason, when i hit the gas I hear a loud hiss of air getting sucked into the carb i assume..then at idle it will eventually stall out, give a little hiss and a puff of smoke..then the dripping sound of gasoline.. whats up with this??

------------------
'69 Camaros SS 350, red w/ white Z28 striping. .030 over, 9" rear, 3.89 gears, 700r4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 01, 08:09 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Are your sure the carb to intake gasket is sealing?(no vaccum leak) Did you replace the fuel filter? What did the old one look like,any dirt in it? Dripping gas, sounds like the float is stuck.Do what I would do --- HIT IT WITH A REAL BIG HAMMER-----carefully----

------------------
68 z28 68 rs 327 73 454 vette
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 01, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech

Every carb needs fine tuning and it's a good thing to know. If you email me I can help better. I need to know what engine compression blah blah blah.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 01, 04:06 AM
rogleete

Question

I was wondering..which vacuum ports should i cover or leave open. there is 3 on the edelbrock that i know of. 1 is the PCV to the valve cover, then 2 smaller ones which i have both covered by the rubber covers supplied. the car has mallorey distributer, .292 split dur cam, stock heads, RPM intake...i have no idea what the timing is nor what it should be

------------------
'69 Camaros SS 350, red w/ white Z28 striping. .030 over, 9" rear, 3.89 gears, 700r4
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 01, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech

This may not be a carb problem at all...9 times out of 10 the carb is blamed when it is an ignition problem. It concerns me that you are replacing carbs and stuff and dont know what the timing is...I dont mean to be rude but come on...you dont know what the timing is set at? If you dont know how to set it, find someone that does (and have them show you how) and get it checked...it sounds to me like the timing may be way retarded. Set it at 12 degrees initial for a baseline...that may not be best for your combo but it will get you in the ballpark. Cover the basics first...its a lot cheaper than replacing carbs. I am not trying to be an a$$, just trying to help.
Oh, and one more thing...none of the vaccuum ports should be uncovered. I noticed you didnt mention the power brake port...if it isnt closed off you will have a big gaping vaccuum leak.
------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

[This message has been edited by travis (edited 02-12-2001).]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 01, 05:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

The fact that you say the car is flooding suggests that you should check your fuel pressure. Are you running a regulator? DO you know what kind of fuel pump that you have?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 01, 05:15 PM
rogleete

standard plane stock fuel pump, I've been looking into the ingnition stuff. this might be were the problem is. I plan on getting the timing checked/set tomarrow. would an MSD6a box be of any help to my engine. what do they really offer to benefit?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 05:13 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

I would not worry about the MSD box yet. Sometimes enhancements will mask a problem rather than solve the problem ( just like the car running fine for a while with the new carb ). Get the car running fine with the basic setup to establish a benchmark...then you can make changes and be able to assess those changes. Also, don't change a lot of things at once ... that makes it more difficult to know what works or doesn't work. Go through the distributor, the plug wires, and even the plugs and make sure that your fuel pressue isn't too high. Get the timing set and then assess where you are. Go to a garage if necessary ... you may want to fix it yourself, but guessing and changing parts can get to be expensive...for example, an Edelbrock 600 cfm barb is $200 + ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode