steering wheel wobble - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Question

I have an '87 camaro with a tilt steering wheel that is starting to wobble pretty bad, both up & down and side-to-side. The actual tilt part still works fine but when it is locked into position, there is still a lot of play in the wheel.

Any ideas on how to tighten it up???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 00, 09:41 AM
Senior Tech

if it has an air bag I wouldny mess with it, but if it does not, get a standard steering wheel puller and take the horn cover /assy off , then check the main bolt for tightness, if you pull it , there is another bolt below that one (right under neath the turn signal cam ) that holds the "tilt" mechanism to the lock ring. it comes loose after the years, or after some dukes of hazzard driving. My 91 fbird is the same way, except I have a air bag so I will wait untill it falls off for mine.. heheheh

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 04-24-2000).]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 00, 05:05 PM

Lightbulb

My 86 Camaro had the same problem. There is three torx head bolts that were loose, but the part they thread into was cracked. The part from the dealer cost $72. I went to the local junk yard and bought a complete column with a better steering wheel for $75. It was only $50 without the steering wheel. The column for the automatic is different than the manual. I have a 5 speed and got a column from an automatic. The Steering wheel was upside down when I got the new column in. The easiest fix was to modify the lock ring alowing the wheel to be rotated on the shaft 180 deg. E-mail me for more info on this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 00, 08:15 PM

There are a few special tools used when doing this job other than a steering wheel puller. You're gonna need torx sockets and drivers, a pivot pin puller and a lock plate depressor. With out these tools the job becomes a pain in the butt, especially if you've never done it before.
If you had to buy these tools it would be cheaper to have some one do it for you.

One more thing, if you're going to try it, ALWAYS disconnect the battery before working on it especially on any air bag equipped car, an air bag going off in your face will ruin your day.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 00, 08:13 PM

my 79 camaro done that bad and all it was was the bearings pack them back down and that should fix it, kinda difficult but make sure u pay attention to where every little part goes when u take it off or u will have problems.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 00, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech

You can also check the air bag wheeels, the wire is under the dash. i believe it a a single yello wire with a label stating it is for the air bag. If you unplug it, the air bag won't discharge... maybe.....

Mark

------------------
Mark
1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode