86 Z28 misc problems - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 04, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Question

I just bought my first Camaro and am having trouble finding the source of it overheating. I've checked the coolant mixture, thermostat, and flushed the radiator and it still overheats. And I was also wondering if anyone knows of a trick to open the truck/hatch because my key won't turn, the inside handle doesn't work, nor does the electrical release, ahhhhh! I got it cheap and it runs but I really want it in perfect order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 04, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Thumbs up

Welcome to the Club! One t6hing you might check is to clean the external radiator fins and the condenser fins. A good spraying of 409 or similiar soap and a good rinse will help.

Also, check to make sure the fan comes on. At least with A/C selected.
Radiator tubes should be clean inside when cap is removed.
Check for no bubbles in the coolant. If bubbles appear while running, head gaskets need changing or a cracked head.
Radiator cap should build pressure as coolant heats up. A tight upper radiator hose will be a good telltale sign.
If engine has been bored oversize, coolant will run alittle hotter.

These engines run alittle hotter than older cars. They run around 200-210*F. Rad fan is controlled by ECM. Sometimes, its too late for it to come on.

A good third gen source is www.thirdgen.org

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 04, 04:14 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Pick up a haynes or chilton manual ... It is a good investment ...about $15 or so ... Lot's of good basic information plus wiring diagrams and pretty decent illustrations ... Also, for the trunk release, check fuses ...Additionally, climb in the back and lookt at the latching area to make sure that something is "pinched" in the mechanism making it harder to operate ....

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 04, 04:47 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
When does it over heat? idling, driving in traffic, on the freeway? My '86 El Camino (305) runs at 210 and spikes higher but never goes in the red on the gauge. The orig owner said it ran that way from day one so I've never really worried about it.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 04, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech

The 3rd generation of Camaros are known for overheating. I believe it has to do with air flow. Basic cooling system maintenance like flushing the system and having the radiator cleaned are good things to do. Make sure the fans work - one comes on when commanded by the computer, the other comes on when the engine reaches 200 and some degrees. In short, make sure everything is as good as it can be. Even then you may find it wants to overheat on a hot day with the AC on in traffic.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 04, 02:25 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to 86 camaro305
my friends did the same thing...make sure the fan works...turn on your ac and you should hear the fan

mustang hater!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 04, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Well DjD, when we got it to my house and turned it off we heard a noise and popped the hood and the radiator overflow was boiling
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 04, 04:32 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Could be as simple as a bad pressure cap.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 04, 05:43 AM
Senior Tech

Something else to check for (not related to overheating) is a cracked frame by the steering box. They have no support past the engine mounts between the frame rails and are prone to cracking. My 85 did this, and you could see the frame twist as the steering wheel was turned.

My guess on the hatch would be to find a way to get the inside panels off and try to get the hatch up that way. You may try spraying some lubricant in the lock and see if one of the wafers is hanging up not allowing it to turn.

Good luck with the car though, I wish I still had my 85 to build for my son.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 04, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

We're pretty sure we got the overheating fixed, and I got the panel off and hotwired the electronic latch and opened the hatch. And was wondering if anyone else has had valve guides go out, my car puts out alot of smoke when I start it and puts out little spurts of smoke here and there. I checked the frame by the steering box and it is fine so thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode