engine swap from tbi to standard 4 barrel help???? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

here is the deal my father in law has a 93 chevy pickup with a 350 and throttle body injection he wants me to put in a new 350 with a 4 barrel carb and a standard hei dist. so if i run a seperate 12 volt wire for the hei to the fuse box and adapt the throttle linkage for the carb,then mount a triple gauge set for the water volts and oil pressure to bypass all the computer crap what problems may i run into if anyone has ever done this or knows what to look for please reply!!!!!! thanx for any help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 01:33 PM
JLD
Tech Team

I ran across this a long time ago. http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/carbswap.shtml
It's off of a third gen website--not to take anything away from team camaro.
I just like all the ideas I can find and sort out what I think for myself. But it should give you a guideline of somewhat.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 02:25 PM
Senior Tech

why does he want to get rid of the TBI? does he not like instant cold weather startup, smooth running, and good power and fuel economy? if it is running bad, maybe it's time for a tune up and a few sensors to be replaced. then, there's the potential legal issues of taking off a federally certified emmissions legal induction setup...

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

[This message has been edited by novaderrik (edited 12-28-2002).]

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 02, 01:16 AM
Senior Tech

I agree with Novaderick. A 93' throttle body system is very simple and way more reliable than any carburetor system ever built. You will run into more problems trying to convert it than you can imagine.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 02, 02:40 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
The only positive side I see to this is easier fixes in the future. If it doesn't start, it's either fuel or ignition.

There's no sensors or computer modules to deal with. However, If something isn't broken, I wouldn't mess with it.

The other thing to consider is the transmission, and weather or not any of those related components rely on the computer.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 03, 04:06 AM

Ive had friends consider this swap, and some of the things you will HAVE to change is the fuel pump and possibly the fuel pressure regulater. The TBI needs about 18 PSI of fuel whereas a regular holley will only tolerate 8 PSI or so. Youll need to swap that out so you dont over power the carb.

Next, the distributer, since the TBI has computer controlled advance.

Youll also want to swap out the manifold, and fuel lines over to a regular manifold and rubber lines. In my experience, rubber is easier than plumbing in some aluminum ones.

Finally, yank out those dummy lights in the dash. Those are going to drive you up a frickin wall if they are illuminated all the time. Youll need your own gauges to compensate, however.

All in all, this could be a fun swap, but I like TBI a lot. Its like a halfway point between fuel injection and carb.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 03, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech

Auto trans, or manual..
if the automatic overdrive, you may need a kit (switch) from b&m or you'll smoke your converter...

double check me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode