My 67 RS lights work!!! . . . almost - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 00, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Well, I spent the day troubleshooting my RS lights. New relays, limit switches, and figuring out how to wire everything up. I discovered my circuit breaker was bad so I bypassed it by touching the wires together. I was pleased that both doors operated. Unfortunately they work in reverse. On the plus, the limit switches work well too. The doors stopped when I activated the correct switch.

I've called it a night for today but wanted to hear any suggestions for what to look at when I take a stab at it this week sometime.

Thanks.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 00, 05:02 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to murrayo
Hey there,

I had a similar problem but I had one door working right and one working wrong. I had to make sure all the switched were grounded well too. The motors don't work right without grounding them.

After pulling my hair out for a few evenings, I didscovered that one of the new motors was wired wrong. I switched them and it has been working great since then.

Good Luck

Tim
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 00, 04:22 AM
Senior Tech

I've been down this road before. The following link provides a graphic of the wiring. It is provided by David Pozzi--\
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...i/67rswire.jpg

Pay special attention to the type below the diagram for the color coding for the wires that hook into the limit switches. This is where I suspect the problem is for you. check the limit switch wire colors. I think they may be reversed. Just change them and your problem should be corrected

Lance

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 00, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Thanks for the link but I already have the wiring diagram.

I've tested each limit switch to see if the motor cuts off when the correct limit switch is triggered. That works, the motor shuts off each way and individually. Could the motors still cut off properly if the limit switches are wired backwards?

Are the motors specific to which side they need to be on? I assumed the motors are the same and the relays and switching handles the polarity to set the direction of the motors. Am I correct in that assumption or are the motors mirrored to each other?

Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 00, 03:44 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to murrayo
Dave,

You didn't have to replace the motors or the relay, right? Is there any chance that one of the relays is bad?

Does it matter if the Ignition switch is on or off when you are operating the lights? You don't have to have the key on to open the doors but you need the ignition on to close the doors. If the doors only open with the ignition key on then the Diode is bad under the dash.

Do you have the Camaro RS headlight wiring diagram manual? It has a decent trouble shooting section for the 67.

------------------
Timo
67 RS/SS 350 Camaro
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 00, 04:40 PM
Senior Tech
William

I believe the doors will close only if the bulbs are installed.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 00, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Timo, actually, that's what I've been using was the RS headlight wiring diagram. Unfortunately, there's no mention of doors operating backwards. To answer your other questions, the seller replaced both motors and all the relays are also new.

I thought about it some last night and I am betting that if I reverse the wires on each motor that it will correct it and the doors will operate the correct way. Actually, you had mentioned that above too.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Scooby Doo (edited 10-10-2000).]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 00, 02:51 AM
Senior Tech

Scooby doobie dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

sounds like the wires on the new motors are reversed. the previous owner on my 67 R/S decided to replace the passenger side motor, and theres a fuse in the bottom of the assembly, dont know if its home made (kinda a stupid place for it if you ask me) but it was wired up backwards. one would open while one was closing... I reversed the wires, badabing. all better.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 00, 05:13 AM
Senior Tech

The wires from the motors go directly to a plug which then goes directly to the limit switches. The plugs should only fit one way but if you don't have the plugs then perhaps your car was rewired. I would go ahead and reverse the wires from the motor since they operate opposite. I'm not sure if this will just reverse your problem or not.
You said the doors stop when you press the correct limit switch--Do you have to press the opening limit switch to get the motor stopped in close mode or does the motor stop when it reaches the limit switch it's heading for??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode