Comfort Grip Wheel Horn Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 6th, 02, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Donnie

Send a message via MSN to 69DZ302
When I bought my '69 Z28 it had a non-tilt column with a factory standard steering wheel and the horns worked fine. I changed it to a tilt column with a comfort grip type steering wheel. If I leave the center cap off and push on the part that holds the cap on the horns work fine but when I put the cap on the horns act like they want to blow all the time. Someone at Rick's said that the pin where the spring is has to be a certain length for a tilt column. I just can't figure out how the pin could have anything to do with the problem since the horns work fine until I put the cap on. If it is the pin, does anyone know what the length of the pin should be? I also don't think anything is touching the big center nut that holds the wheel on. I have done a search on this but couldn't find anything to help so does anyone have any suggestions for me other than putting the standard wheel back on. Thanks, Donnie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 02, 05:02 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Donnie, I had the exact same problem and I related it to the repop horn button kit I bought. Maybe it was because I have a tilt wheel but I don't think so! It was a couple yrs ago so the fix is vague right now. This is going to bug me now!! The problem is the horn button is completing the ckt when installed. Look for a contact point, I remember making insulators bit don't know if that was the fix for me... I'll try to look at mine tonight and post back. You might search by my user name in General Tech or the Electrical again I don't recall if I posted anything on it.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 02, 05:10 AM
Kevin

Donnie, you pin is fine if the horn works when you press on the cap retainer. The pin is used to extend the curcuit from the 12V positive metal ring inside column to the cap retainer. When you push on the retainer or the cap the positive part of the retainer touches the negative grounded steering wheel and completes the curcuit.

When I put mine on (all repro) the cap was too close to the wheel. I your case, it's so close it's touching somewhere.

If you put the cap on and the horn starts to sound, pull gently up on the cap and if the horn stops, then you have to increase the distance from the cap to the wheel. The easiest way that I've used is to put spacers (washers) under the cap retainer to give you more clearance cap to wheel. That's what I did.

I guess the repro wheel, cap and horn ring is a little off when you put them all together. Wadda ya know, repro part that don't fit exactly!

You did get the correct TILT column white horn contact ring and turn signal cam thingy? Right? The non tilt thingy will not work correctly on a tilt column.

Let me know how you made out. Kevin

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 02, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Donnie

Thanks Dennis, The part that the cap snaps on has three plastic pieces that hold the two parts together. Two of the plastic pieces look like their not as long as the other one. I've tried to put a flathead screwdriver between them and spread the two pieces apart just enough to give it more clearence then maybe it wouldn't make contact but since two of them are shorter the two halves just come apart. Well, you know what happens if they come apart, it will ground out and blow. If I could come up with something to replace those three plastic pieces with where I could get more space between the two parts then it might work. As it is now the space is so thin the cap is pushing the contact down and grounding it. I would have to come up with something to replace them with that's insulated and won't ground it out. Let me know if you find anything out on yours. Thanks, Donnie.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 02, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Donnie

Kevin, In your message you asked, "You did get the correct TILT column white horn contact ring and turn signal cam thingy? Right? The non tilt thingy will not work correctly on a tilt column". I may have gotten the correct cap and the part the cap snaps on, but I'm not sure if I bought the turn signal cam thingy. I thought Rick's 1st Generation said that part didn't make a difference if my horn was blowing, but who knows! If I use metal spacers wouldn't that ground it out anyway because the spacers would be between the steering wheel and the contact piece which is all metal? I wonder if I could use plastic spacers, but no they would keep it from grounding out when the cap was pushed. Things are starting to get confusing, maybe I'm just getting tired, since I've been up all night. I'll check here later when I get up and see if you or Dennis or anyone replied back. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Donnie
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 02, 07:21 AM
Kevin

Donnie, In Rick's there are 2 horn contact rings, one for tilt and one for non-tilt. The non tilt will not fit on a tilt column, I've tried.

If my memory serves, the 3 mounting points are screwed into the hub anyway, so they are grounded. Adding washers would not change that. I think the retainer ring that actually holds the cap are too short. That lead to the cap being too close to the wheel. By moving the whole retainer up, you can gain the clearance.

With the bottom have of the retainer grounded, the top halve that holds the cap would be positive.

Don't try to pry the retainer apart. There are plastice insulators that will break with too much force. The plastic insulators also act as a spring mechanism to hold the top off of the bottom. Then you can push the cap down to close the contacts.

The thingy is call the horn contact-canceling cam. The retainer is the wood wheel horncap mount assembly.

Luck, Kevin
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 02, 08:11 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Donnie - good advice from Kevin. if you have the wrong piece Kevin is talking about it won't fit in place properly and if you force it it'll break.

------------------
...Dennis
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 02, 04:58 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Donnie - I checked and have done exactly as Kevin suggests. I found some tiny nylon washers and put them on each of the 3 small bolts that hold the contact assembly in place. The bolts go through the assembly and then the washers go on the bolts between the mounting surface and the contact assembly. You may have to do it trial and error to get the right height so the button snaps on without completing the ckt.

------------------
...Dennis
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 02, 05:19 PM
Senior Tech
Mike H

i have the same setup, tilt with comfort grip. It's been a while, but i seem to remember having to cut the alum. pin length by 1/4.....

------------------
My '69 Conv. Website
or
FotoTime Pictures

[This message has been edited by mr69 (edited 05-07-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode