What the heck is going on ??????????????? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I just got my 69 SS back from the tranny shop after getting a new clutch installed and it was running pretty crappy. I pulled out my timing light and the timing mark on the HB was nowhere to be seen. I finally found it at about 12:00 o'clock. I have no idea how that could have happened. Anyways I reset the timing at 11 degrees BTDC and it still was not running good, its been backfireing and slugish.I checked the dwell and its at 30. I just went out and reset the timing at about 16 degrees BTDC and it seems to be running better. I have a all orig./stock 350/300hp 350 (no mods at all)Is it possible that the timing belt has slipped? or a problem with the dist.( has new cap rotor and condenser) or any other ideas? The carb was rebuilt less than 2000 miles ago.The eng. has 111,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance for your responses. Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Is it possible the distributor got damaged when tilted back to drop the trans?

You say it was running ok until the clutch work?

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS/Z28
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 11:28 PM
Senior Tech

YEP.....Don's got it as usual. I have seen this time and time again where the rear of the engine is not supported enough to keep the distributor from hitting the firewall and in some cases turning the distributor off timing.

I would check for a broken cap too. It happens.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 02, 04:02 PM
Senior Tech

Everybody is on target here it is in the dist. The problem is that the cap tilted out of place and when they started it,it broke the tip on the rotor. The brass peace is pushed side ways so the points opening is out of sink with rotor tip. Get a new rotor it breaks the plastic peace that holds the tip in the propper place. If any one has ever owned a 55 thru 57 Chevy and broke a rear mount this happens EVERY time you hit second gear hard.

Larry
www.lnjstreetrods.com

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 04:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
I just did this on my 454 truck pulling the trans. Ran like crap, checked the cap & it was cracked. I let the motor down too far to get to the stubborn bellhousing bolt.

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I checked the cap and rotor and I can't see any damage and both are new in the last year. I checked the motor mount bolts and it doesn't look like they have been removed lately, don't those have to be removed to lower or tilt the engine? I also checked for loose plug wires and all seem tight any other thoughts?.Timing chain? Thanks Steve
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 02:55 PM
Tech Team

spb350, It's surprising how much you can tilt an engine down, and up for that matter, with the mounts in place. If the only change was having the clutch replaced, then the first thought would be that it's in the distributor. A cracked cap can be very hard to detect sometimes. I think I would put on a new one. If that's not the problem, you'll use it eventually, so you won't be out anything. If the car is running really rough, maybe your local mechanic took it for a test drive, got carried away and actually hurt something internally. Could it be a broken rocker arm or some such thing? Just a thought. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by 69SSBIGBLOCK (edited 08-03-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode