Almost finished............ - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 01, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'm on the last leg of my HEI conversion from a points distributor. As you may recall, my '69 Z11 was running very sluggish at low rpms and I was going through a process of elimination in hopes to identify the problem. I have changed the plugs, checked the points, distributor cap, timing, etc and my car still ran like "poop."

To remedy the problem, I bought an Accel HEI distributor and Taylor 8mm sparkplug wires. Before I dropped the new HEI and plug wires, I decided to regap the plugs from a .30 to .45 to accommodate the HEI. When I pulled out the plugs, I noticed that they were a little black. Keep in mind that I've only fired up the car twice since initially changing the plugs about a week ago. I let the car run for about 5 minutes, reaching a water temp of about 160 degrees then turned it off. Is it common for the plugs to turn black so fast?

I will have to make a "minor" adjustment to the firewall to accomadate my cowl induction air cleaner and element, before I actually fire the car up tomorrow. I'm hoping that this will finally solve my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech

Question

How do you set your timing. Light? Sound?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech

I still think your carb is running rich, that's pretty fast for plugs to foul out. Ask your mechanic to lean it out if the HEI doesn't solve the problem.......KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

He set the timing by light.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 01, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

On my 67 I set my timing by light and it ran real sluggish. I've been setting the timing bye sound and it runs alot smoother. Try advancing the timing untill you get a ping and then back it off untill the ping is gone. That is the best setting.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 01, 11:24 PM
Senior Tech

Exclamation

The best setting isnt necessarily "advance it till it pings and then back off 2 degrees"...very rarely is this best for performance. I have seen a lot of engines run with as much as 50 degrees total timing and not ping, but they were also sluggish and hard to start. Playing with the timing ended up giving several extra mph in the 1/4 mile plus ended up with a much more responsive engine. Theres just too many variables.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 01, 04:22 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
You may have to experiment a bit to find out what degree of total timing your motor likes best. The difference between using a light and doing it by ear, is when you find the optimal setting you can record the numbers and know right where to go the next time you adjust it!!

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 01, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I dropped the top down down, filled her up with gas and she drove like a dream! Knock on wood! Looking back, I'm fairly certain that it was the plug wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode