Power Steering squealing - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 04, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I recently reinstalled my PS pump along with new hoses. Since the front of my car was already up on jackstands, I filled the reservoir and turned the wheel lock to lock dozens of times to purge the air. I did this with the engine running and not running. Now when driving, if I turn the wheel all the way to the left or right while the car is either stopped or creeping very slowly, it squeals and is hard to turn and feels like it is grabbing. When driving faster than about 10mph everything works fine. Will air in the system cause this? It was fine before I took the pump off and put it back on. Any ideas?

Larry
69 Pace Car Festival #24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 04, 11:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Sounds like the belt is a little loose to me.

Paul D.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 04, 09:25 AM
David Pozzi

Belt is loose or worn, or you got oil on the belt when working on it.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 04, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech
Bryan

Any great tips on how to get that belt as tight as possible? I've got the same problem. The alternator sure is a lot easier to tighten up (using a breaker bar or long wrench).

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 04, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech

Question

I have a simular problem but mine screaches when I rev it a little and then stops when I get off it. I have the belt tight. The steering works great. What else could it be?

Bry,

Use a 2x3 or 4 if it fits and slide it in between the mount and pump and pull hard w/out denting the pump res.

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 04, 10:39 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan

Thumbs up

Cool. Thanks. I hadn't thought of using a 2x4. I kept thinking "What tool can I use to hold this tight?" Hadn't thought of a board.

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode