why is my carb. clicking - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 01, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Question

why when i turn my key to on posion,and when my engine is running my Q-jet continulesy makes a clicking noise? 85z28 305c.i.d. e4me carb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 01, 11:08 PM
Senior Tech

i bet it is the fuel metering valve in the carb. it is controled by the puter and it is trying to keep a good A/F mix going.

i hate this version of the Q-jet as it is a pain in the you know what! this type of q-jet has a TPS and a fuel silanoid. the clicking is the silanoid moving open and closed. you should not normaly hear this. it might be sign of the carb needing a rebuild. or the oxy sensior is bad, this will cause the ECM to try to adjust the A/F too much as it is not getting good info. oh and some carb's have a idle speed silanoid too and that can click on and off.

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 04-02-2001).]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 02:35 PM
Senior Tech

It is the mixture control solenoid and it is normal to hear it when the engine is not running, it still operates when the engine is running, but you cant hear it. It does control the A/F mixture and tries to keep it within the parameters that keep the carb from polluting too much and it is based on input from the 02 sensor.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
If you have no fear, you're not going as fast as you could.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

thank`s for the help guys. my car started acting fuel starved at full throttle,so i replaced the cap,rotor,ignition module,capacitor,pick-up coil and the carburetor,it turned out to be a $14 doller fuel pump.i never had one go out like that before.mine always leaked and quit.this one never went out it just couldnt keep up.i think my new Q-jet is just out of adjustment.also after i replaced my pickup coil and reinstalled the distributor i cant seem to get it timed correctly it eather pings or it knocks no inbetween,could this also be an out of une carb? thank you for any help.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 01:49 PM
Senior Tech

Did you disconnect the connector at the dist? If you follow the instructions to set the timing, all should be fine.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
If you have no fear, you're not going as fast as you could.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

yes,when timing the engine i followed the v.e.c.i. label and did all of the preliminarys. the engine has a megnetic timing probe hole on the timing plat.all i have is an inductive timing light.do i need special equipment for the probe hole,or is my light ok?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 08:58 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Ihad the same thing happen to the fuel pump on my 87 firebird. stomp the gas and it takes off.....but then slows down like it's fuel starved. When you pulled yours, was the arm on the pump REALLY worn? mine was. my car loved the new fuel pump. New quadrajet huh, wasit expensive? I thought about all that with my car, but just would up rebuilding the one I had. still have a couple of small problems with it, but I think I will get them worked out pretty soon. those carbs are supposed to perform very well when adjusted right. the only advice I can give on them is make sure you have good vaccum lines! that turned out to be alot of the problem with mine. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode