GET ECM CODES CHEAP - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 01, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

I bought a code reader for 20 dollars and realized I got ripped off but you don't have to get ripped off like I did. I found out about this after I bought the code reader. If your car has the 12 pin DLC connector,you most likely can manually flash your trouble codes.

THE CONNECTOR

-----------------------
| 1 2 3 4 5 6 |
| 7 8 9 10 11 12 |
-----------------------

To disply codes run a wire or hairpin from Pin 6 to Pin 12 with the ignition off (although on later cars it should be from Pin 5 to Pin 6), then turning the ignition to the on position without starting the engine will flash the service engine soon light in the following sequence: flash, pause, flash-flash, long pause flash, pause, flash-flash, long pause flash, pause, flash-flash, long pause Following this 12 code repeating three times will come any trouble codes stored, flashing each of them three times. If you do not see the 12 flash three times, your diagnostic circuit is defective.
Some vehicles will display stored trouble codes, then 12 again, followed by energizing "most system controlled relays." The fuel pump relay will not energize. The idle air control valve will fully extend to enable checking minimum idle speed.

CLEARING THE TROUBLE CODES
Turn the keyswitch to the off position. To clear any trouble codes, disconnect the power feed for 30 seconds. If this is done at the battery, and your car stereo is equipped and programmed with a four digit pin code, you may have to re-enter that as well to use your stereo again. A better place to remove power is at the fuse.

[This message has been edited by SPEEDLVR (edited 02-10-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 01, 04:23 PM

I did the same but kept receipt. I will try the jumper as advised. The code reader did not work and flash the codes. I will try the junper as you did.

mark
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 01, 05:09 PM

I have a 94 camaro RS 3.4 liter I tryed pins 5 and 6 and could not get a flashing Service Engine Soon Indicator to flash. Looking at code reader Assy they line up with pins 5 and 6. A while ago i removed the security indicator bulb from the console becuase I was tired of looking at it. Do you think this would affect my readings

mark

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 01, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Mark,

I really don't know. But I would put it back in and see if it makes a difference. It's worth a try. Was the security light on all the time?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 01, 05:57 AM

Yes, The time I pulled it was. I belive that is for doors and other things. AT the time the operation of the car was fine. Its just idleing a little rough now. I gave it the works for a tune up which did not make a difference at all. I believe three possiblities, Injectors, timing chain, or valve adjustment. But I want to check for codes first. It has 88,000 miles now And I have maintained it well. When it is cold it seems to idle better. The performance on road could be better it is not running smooth as normal!!

mark
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 01, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

What type of fuel injection does it have?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 01, 05:15 PM

(SEFI) Sequential Fuel Injection System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode