400 turbo trans fluid loss - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 02, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

can anyone tell me why my trans is pushing fluid out the dipstick? (Bad). Rebuilt 3600 miles ago wuth no problems until now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 02, 04:35 PM
Jeff

Bad rebuild kind of doubt it. Bad "O" ring that seals the dipstick to the tube is more likely the problem.

------------------
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442 www.hobbystage.net/camaro/hawaiiancamaro
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 02, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Didn't mean bad rebuild but leaking bad. It is coming out of the top when running not at tube to case location. Thanks for your reply.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 02, 08:07 PM

clogged vent possibly...on top of case..a short curved tube.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Checked that 1st thing--not it. Thanks anyway.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 08:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

If it's not a clogged vent tube, and the trans isn't over filled, fluid coming out of the dipstick generally means that your overheating the fluid for some reason!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 09:22 AM

Partially clogged cooler in Radiator...maybe?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 09:41 AM
Jeff

Pulling this out of the thin air. Are the Trans lines hooked up right to the Rad., There not reversed are they?
scratch that i see it has 3600 miles on it and it would have been a problem long ago
------------------
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442 www.hobbystage.net/camaro/hawaiiancamaro

[This message has been edited by HawaiianCamaro (edited 02-21-2002).]
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Trans has it's own cooler and the fluid looks new and does not smell burnt as it would if it were getting hot from friction. Trans was still working fine when it started this after a run down I-state. Was not over full either as nothing had been added since rebuild. Talked to the man that built it and he does not seem to know either. Thats why I am asking you guys.
www.geocities.com/jhow66/2-.html
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds like it is getting hot....is the cooler adequate (size)?....ooh....just thought of something else....how is the cooler mounted?....are the connecting lines at the bottom?....the cooler should be mounted so that the lines connect from the sides....I have never personally experienced this, but "they" say that if the cooler is mounted where the lines attach at the bottom it is possible for the cooler to airlock....I don't know why the fluid will not push the air through,(doesn't make sense to Me) but I have heard of this happening.....also someone will probably say that a cooler should be used in conjunction WITH the radiator cooler as the engine coolant will take higher heat from the trans fluid.......I'm just guessing that this was the first long run down the interstate....(You weren't speeding were Ya? ) and just trying to throw some more thoughts at Ya......
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Me speed!!! with just a little old 502 HO. (3.08 Posi) naaaw. I was making my 1st run after installing big tube headers and 21/2" FlowMasters. Man did they make a difference!! I have got a cooler mounted on frame rail made out of 5' of finned SS 1/2" tubing. Is this enough?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 02:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

IMHO, if your gonna run it on the street, you really need to have a real cooler on it. You should be plumbing it through the water-to-oil cooler in the radiator and then the external cooler or, have a dedicated electric fan on your oil-to-air, external cooler.

It doesn't sound like you have enough air moving over the tubing even when the car is moving, and when you are stopped and idling, your current system doesn't do anything to get rid of all the heat that your trans is making!

Remember, short of breaking the input shaft, the only thing you can do to that automatic to hurt it is overheat it. Juice boxes hate heat!!! Heat beats up the clutches and seals in a big hurry. It pays to have a good cooler "system" on a performance automatic.

Just my $.02

[This message has been edited by PDQUICK (edited 02-22-2002).]
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 08:19 AM
Team Member
John

You need to use the cooler in the radiator tank first, then to the auxiliary cooler on the way back to the trans; the one in the radiator is far more effective than the added one - that's why it's called an "auxiliary" cooler - not intended to be a replacement for the primary cooler in the radiator tank.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

JohnZ I am going to try that this weekend. Thanks
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 06:46 PM
Senior Tech

If it wasn't doing this, and now it is maybe the new exhaust system is routed different enough to cause more heat on your cooler that you are now using.

You said you were going to change the cooler, and I agree, so go for it.

Larry www.lnjstreetrods.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode