Front end shimmy - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 02, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

I have a 69 Z11, 396 4spd with 57K miles. It is a great driver and fairly tight. In the past few months it has developed a front end shimmy/bounce around 45-50MPH. Before and after okay. I have recently replaced the OE polyglass with radials (this helped initially but it seems to be getting back to where it was before), balanced all tires, rotated all tires, aligned the front end, had the drive shaft checked for balance and replaced front wheel bearings. Car also has new rear end rear if any consolation. Mechanic says shocks look good, the car and front end are tight and could offer no additional suggestions. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 02, 05:40 PM
Dave RG

Have a buddy, with a 69, that put new classic rims and had the same problem. He had the front end aligned, balanced the tires twice and it turned out to be one of the rims was out of round.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 02, 02:03 AM

Have heard that by rotating the tire on the rim you can determine the position that would require the least amount of weight to balance the assembly. This would take a little extra time at the tire store,but hopefully would solve your problem. I would hesitate doing business with anyone that would not take the time to do this.Hope this helps.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 02, 02:59 PM
Senior Tech

Because the 1st gen Camaros are so floppy, due to the inherent design, the body mounting rubber can be a culprit of setting up resonance at speed. Check the rubber..if it's worn replace it.

Weak shocks on the REAR or front can set up vibrations and resonance in the front as well.

Good luck.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 02, 03:15 PM
Tech Team

just so u know an alignment cant cauz it it is usually always a tire or rim or both get em balaneced and spun 180 degrees on the rim if neccesary and haveing loose mounts or front end parts can magnafy the shimmy allot
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 02, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all, I will try these helpful tips. Have a great day!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 02, 05:17 AM
Retired
Jim

One possibility is one of the radials seperated an inner layer belt. That will cause a measureable wobble. That should be covered under warranty by the tire co.
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,ps,am/fm,4.10 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 02, 05:08 PM

try checking your harmonic balancer i Had one once that was really bad and the faster i went the more it shook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode