Isn't electrical work fun!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 01, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Alright, here's the deal, when I turn on the pass side of my blinkers the fronts flash a dim hazard light. The rears are fine all the way through this. The drivers side works fine though. Also when I turn on the running lights (from the headlight knob, no headlights on) the driver side blinker light stays on constant (no passenger) and at the dash it's the right blinker that stays on constant.

This has completely me stumped and any help would be great.

[This message has been edited by Turnin' Wenches (edited 03-13-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 01, 02:41 PM
Senior Tech

It is hard to diagnosis these kind of problems over a computer but I had a similar problem. When I turned on parking lights one was bright and one was dim. The problem was one of the light housings was not tightened down. Apparently the front lights ground through the housing. Maybe this is your problem. By the way mine is a 68. I am not sure on the other years. Erik
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 01, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech
TOM

Wink

A lot of problems like this are from bad grounds at the light socket. Remove the bulbs and check for poor contacts. Spray a light contact cleaner in there. Hope this helps.
It's always the little things!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 01, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech

Had the same problem on mine after a Painless Wiring body harness. Turned out that we grounded it to the newly painted radiator support, and it wasn't making good contact. Check the grounds, and clean them to bare metal.
Tyler

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/tyler_beauregards_68_camaro/tyler_beauregard.htm" TARGET=_blank>
68-LT1-T56
</A>
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 01, 07:59 PM
Senior Tech

here is a tip, after you clean all the ground's use a white grease to seal em up from the water and stuff, i like to use lubriplate grease.

oh and also fill all the light conector's with it too, the conection will stay clean and good. i do this to all my conection's out side of the passenger compartment when i work on them.

this is a little bit of cheep insurance, and it work's great.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 01, 09:05 PM
David Pozzi

Wink

Put the blinker on and use a jumper wire to a good ground and touch it to the problem blinker housing. If the problem goes away, you know the ground is bad.
Since the turn sig ground and park light grounds are interconected, the juice goes into the park light circut and grounds on the left front housing. Things get dim because of the resistance of the extra bulbs the juice has to go through to find ground.
Maybe you need some "blinker fluid"
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 01, 10:17 AM
Senior Tech

I have a 67 with the standard grille and have had this problem before as well. I agree with everyone else that this is a ground problem, and davidpozzi's explanation of why the lights are dim makes perfect sense. Be sure, as others have suggested, to check the ground wire to the turn signal/park lamp housing for good, clean contacts. If this doesn't fix it, take the socket and bulb out of the light housing and clean out any corrosion with a wire brush. Apply some of that grease stuff that ilbl8 suggested and reassemble. This should definitely fix your problem (fixed mine - my housings were all corroded inside and the bulb wasn't making good ground contact with the housing).

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 01, 03:01 PM
David Pozzi

Good suggestion, as the filiments ground to the bulb shell first, a bad bulb to housing contact would act the same as a bad housing ground.
I guess Blinker grease would be better than Blinker fluid!
Maybe a Synthetic Blinker fluid! yeah, that's it! longer lasting...

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 01, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Well I checked the ground, jumper to battery ground and nothing. It's really strange, with the hazards on it doesn't work at all. I pulled the bulb and spring loaded connector thing on the back and nothing's rusted or even looks bad. I'm almost thinking it's the hazard switch but why would the back lights and the front driver work fine. It's gotta be a wire somewhere. Got any ideas? I do have a wiring diagram somewhere. Can get one from the library if I can't find it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 01, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Nevermind I just fixed it! There's a housing that the bulb goes in then the one where the ground is mounted to. There's supposed to be some solder connecting em (kinda cheezy!) so I just threw the ground wire inside the back with plug and boom bang ping it works. Add a little blinker grease and I'm done.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 04:16 AM
Senior Tech
TOM

Always the little things !
glad it worked out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode