Ignition Nightmares - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 00, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Angry

I have an engine from a 1971 Camaro in my 1965 Chevy 1/2 ton stepside. It began to backfire a few weeks back through the exhaust when the weather got cold out. This truck is garage kept during the evening hours. When I started it, it would take about 10 minutes to warm up to the point where it would run right. Then one Monday about a week ago now, it would not start at all!!! I have since changed out the points, condensor, and the coil...the cap and rotor look good so I have not replaced them as of yet. I turn the key and the starter turns and turns but there is NO fire what-so-ever. CAN ANYONE HELP END MY NIGHTMARE!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 00, 06:55 PM
Senior Tech
Drake

Question

Start with the basics I guess.Did you check for spark?Do you have gas getting to the carb.?Need more info!

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching, 4X4 CHEVY TRUCK
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 00, 07:30 AM

Get an ignition wire tester and see if spark is reaching plugs if so check fuel systems.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 00, 01:48 PM
Tech Team

does your truck have a "ballast -resistor"(white looking sguare, mounted on firewall) it might be internally shorted(open)???? good-luck....

------------------
70camaro(350)ground-up restification,350 slightly modified
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 00, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Yes I have a ballast resistor...did not know that it could be shorted out...How do I check it? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by doug70:
does your truck have a "ballast -resistor"(white looking sguare, mounted on firewall) it might be internally shorted(open)???? good-luck....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 00, 02:23 PM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

do you have a VOLT/OHMS meter,put it on RX1 scale and check to see if the ballast resistor makes a "circuit"(remove wires from it,and place test probes ,one on one end the one on other)(the needle on meter will move,over) if no connection the meter will "lye" there,thus no complete circuit...the ballast resistor drops voltage a little on "points" system to around 8-10volts...good-luck...

------------------
70camaro(350)ground-up restification,350 slightly modified
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 00, 03:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Don't forget, the ballast resister is not used during starting. The starter solinoid bypasses the resister wire for a full 12 volts to the coil.

Larry
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 00, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

To me this sounds like a classic vacuum leak.
The trick I used was starting fluid around the base of the carb and intake. Just be very careful. It does find it quick. The RPM will pick up when leak is found.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 00, 11:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

have you checked the timing? an induction pickup light will verify spark as well. are the plugs wet? could be a lot of things, start with the basics is right on.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 00, 05:08 PM
Tech Team

Arrow

I don't know much, but this sounds awfully familiar. My 86 Camaro takes about 10 minutes to warm up and run right in cold weather too. Check your plugs...they may be gas-fouled. If they are, then you may have a problem with your choke or choke pull-off. This is the advice I got. Make sure air is getting to the engine.

Just a thought.

Mark
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 00, 11:39 AM

I agree with the ballast resistor, being the problem. Same thing happened to me once
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 00, 07:58 PM
David Pozzi

Thumbs up

get a test light and connect it from a good ground to the negative coil terminal. Crank the engine and watch the light. It should blink off and on. if it stays on you have no ground connection somewhere.
There is a little ground wire that connects the point plate to the distributor housing. It connects to one of the vaccum advance attachment screws. check that it is not broken off. It moves when the vaccum can moves the point plate.
If you have a good blinking light, then test the coil by plugging one of the spark plug wires into the coil and put a spark plug in the end and lay it on a good ground source. NOT the battery or carburetor where sparks could ignite the hydrogen fumes from the battery or the carb fuel. Crank the engine and look for spark. If you have spark at the coil, then the problem is either in the cap and rotor, wires, or plugs. Give us the results of your tests, and we'll help you with more suggestions. Regards, David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode