alternator bracket - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 99, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i have a small block 350 with an aftermarket intake(edelbrock) and i want to locate alternator in "stock" location ,problem is my stock bracket doesnt fit} thermostat housing bolt to far back? is there a aftermarket bracket for this ?modify my bracket? any info? thanks in advance..(i have long water pump)

------------------
70camaro(350)ground-up restification,350 slightly modified

[This message has been edited by doug70 (edited 12-14-99).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 99, 05:10 PM
Tech Team

I had the same problem 2yr back, on my 73 nova (no ac, pass side alt). you can buy mr gasket universal alt crome brackets for 10.00 at most part stores. But who wants that junk, I wanted to keep the stock brackes so i had to extent the bolt hole to the end of the bracket 1in, (use power tools it took forever with a hacksaw) now go buy studs 1 large and one small and about5 small washers to shim under the bracket for support(i needed to). also be sure to buy studs for the carb, (I cracked and striped my outer bolts due to alum being much much weaker than steel torque wrench!!) also be sure to keep your old manafold around incase of they worp/crack strip out. Keep your old cast iron thermostat cover, they will never warp or crack ( never use crome mr gaskets I have seen them rupture) since you already gotem its cheep ins.
There is also 1 bolt on performers (dr side 3rd back That is hard to tighten, the bolt it upaginst the intake runner, i had to buy a snap on cause its the ony boxed wrench that would slip down on the bolt enough to tighten it.

When your done check for leaks with starting fluid when done(intake leaks will ruin your block, pistons, and foul your plugs in a off set pattern (keeps fouling 2 inner spark plugs one side, and 2 outer on the other)

i hope my info helps,

chevy s rule
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 99, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i have an alternator bracket with the modification you are talking about i just wanted it to look "original" and as far as those parts store brackets:no way!: thanks for reply...

------------------

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 99, 03:41 AM
Senior Tech

Start looking in the scrap yards, there are severl styles of the bracket you are looking for. Ran into the same problem a few years back when doing an engine swap in a Chevy pick up, I did eventually find the right one.
Half the fun of owning a classic is the search for the right stuff.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 99, 12:57 PM
Tech Team
Danny

I went through the same problem a few years ago when I switched my 68 from a short water pump to a long style. I thought all the brackets for the long style were the same. I had an edelbrock performer intake and the top hole wouldn't line up. I went back to the salvage yard and started doing some checking and found out that there was a change made sometime in the mid 70's. By looking around at enough cars I was able to find what I needed.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 99, 01:19 PM
Tech Team
Danny

One type of bracket mounts with the thermostat housing bolt. The other type doesn't. They also require different waterpumps. I went to the auto store and started looking at different year model water pumps until I found what I needed.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 99, 12:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I have a performar intake on my '83 full size blazer. the stock bracket, which doesn't bolt to the thermostat housing, but rather to a boss next to it, (the boss is on the performar manifold,)and to the top/pass side water pump bolt, worked fine. I imagine that bracket will be on most any SB v8 '80's pickup/blazer/suburban

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 99, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

the intake (aftermarket edellbrock) doesnt have the secondary boss, if any of you guys have an alternator bracket lying around that will work in this situation(without needing modified)...e-mail me..thanks for rplies

------------------
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 99, 06:55 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
Thumbs up

I had the same problem with mine. I am using one of the Mr. G chrome brackets for the long pump, mounting hole on the thermostat, I just elongated the hole on the bracket and it works fine. Much better than the original bracket that had the alternator all the way to the right of the engine and shook all the time. Looks good.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 00, 09:31 AM

I had alt bracket problems on my 68 327 cam. It seems that the common cause is using an Edelbrock intake. I have a Victor junior intake and the upper bolt hole for the bracket is about an inch too high. After calling Edelbrock to get help with a solution to this problem ( figuring they created a million of these problems) they informed me that thier intakes are for racing applications and that they can't cater to all vehical applications. I only have a 68 camaro small block. They had no advice on a company that sells aftermarket brackets. Well after calling several junk yards and getting shot down each time, I found a company in one of my car magazines. The company is called MARCH. They make show quality brackets out of billet aluminum. The brackets are expensive but do add a nice touch to the engine. They are strong and come with all the mounting hardware. With a $5000 engine waiting to come to life I spent the $180 for the bracket. This could be cheap insurance for you. Alternators are getting expensive. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by :
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode