Dumb question guys - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 02, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Here is an easy one for all you guru's.I understand everycar smokes in the morning on cold days, but it seems to me that my 85 IROC smokes more then it should. It smokes so much I cant hardly see the car at times. After warmup it all goes away and dosent smoke anymore. It only smokes for about 5 min or so. Is this normal?

85iroc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 02, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
It depends upon the "smoke." If the smoke lingers, it could be oil smoke, usually bluish in color and an oily smell. If the smoke is white, and has no odor, could be just the condensation burn-off from the exhaust system.

When convertor, pipes, and muffler cool down from being hot, condensation is formed. As the engine heats up the exhaust system, it burns off this condensation and becomes a vapor, hence, "smoke"

It also may be sucking the oil from the intake runners. This oil seeps down the valve stem and lays on the floor. Engine cranks up, creates a vacuum, sucks up the oil, then as the engine warms up, seals get lubed, oil supply stops. Maybe.

I would suggest a can of GM Engine Oil Supplement, made for your situation as well as others if you think it is oil smoke.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 02, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The smoke is light grey kind of see through with no odor. It only does it on medium to cold mornings for a few min. Anything to worry about?

Everett I see your from VA beach. I lived out there for 5 yrs. I was at Ft. Story. Im up at Eustis now.

Thanks

85iroc

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 02, 02:56 AM
Senior Tech

Hello 85iroc,

I know this is probably a poor question to ask, considering your recent run of misfortunes. But, here goes anyway, has your car been smoking like this ever since you re-built it; or has it just started after your experience with the PEP Boy trio?
Just curious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 02, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey Trickster,

Well im not 100% sure. Im pretty sure it has done it before, but I never really drove it when it was cold. I bought it in june and two days later it was up on blocks with no engine. I put it back on the road in about Oct. I know it smoked before but wasnt so bad until it was cold the past 2 weeks. I dont really have anything to compare it to. As soon as it warms up it stops.

85iroc
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 02, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech

I suspect your 'smoke' is really steam. If so, it's normal for this to happen until the exhaust system warms up enough that the steam won't condense immediatly. On really cold days, it may never stop.

On the otherhand, if you think your car is generating more steam than others, then you might have a head gasket leak or crack in the block. To find out, pull your plugs and look at them. If your burning water, the plug will be scoured clean and white.

-dnult
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 02, 02:26 PM

My 87 does the same thing. It is more related to condensation then anything else. The 'rich/lean bias' parameters of the ECU also have a little to do with this, but this is a normal condition...well at least for the early TPI engines, I wouold expect the same for early TBI engines as well.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 02, 04:27 PM
Senior Tech

on cold mornings, the condensation in your exhaust system mixed with the hot air coming from your exhaust makes steam, or fog. the same as "seeing your breath" on cold days. it will also do this on rainy, humid days like after a good rain at night, me and my buddies thought my 88 was smoking like a b*tch. well, we were a little under the weather ourselves if ya know what i mean . another, if it is not the fog theory, is the smoke black like a semi truck's smoke? if so, i'm sure you are famillar with the whole choke and rich fuel/air mixture when cold. if thats the case, tone the gas going in a little. hope this helps!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 02, 07:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

85iroc,

My wife has an 87 Z-28 that does the same thing. It has since new. The dealer changed the valve seals under warranty once due to fouling plugs. It hasnt had a plug fouling problem since,(112000 miles) but it still sends out a smoke cloud after sitting for 8 or more hours.
It doesn't use an unusual amount of oil, less than 1/2 quart in 3000 miles and has always passed smog tests.

I also had an 83 Z-28 305 H.O. 4v that did the same thing.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well thanks for all the info guys. One more thing which leads me to believe it is the steam is that on initial start up it smokes quite a bit but when the car hits a few degrees a min later it smokes alot more. Then it all stops. Again the smoke is always clear. Kind of just like fog. Thanks again everyone.

85iroc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode