No Gas - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 02, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have been having this problem alot. My 68 327 doesn't get gas. When the car is cold it pumps like crazy but when it warms up it seems to boil the gas before the fuel pump. I have changed the gas tank filler neck hose, wrapped the gas line, with perma cool tape from the frame all the way to the top of the manifold, have new holley fuel pump and fram inline fuel filter. The car has only headers and a manifold and runs at 190*. Could it be that I have the wrong gas cap ? Is it supposed to be vented or not or is there something else you guys can come up with. Thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 02, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech

Your gas cap should be vented and have you checked the short piece of fuel line hose that connects from the sending unit/pickup tube to the frame rail line?

------------------
Geezer
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 02, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey Geezer, thanks but I changed that hose with the fuel tank filler neck hose. Any other ideas. Thanks

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 02, 12:22 AM
Senior Tech
robert

I had exactly the same problem a week ago,

i placed a clear hose before my my pump and saw about 50% gas and 50% air running trough it.

after checking the pump and ALL my hoses i found out that the filter INSIDE the tank was wasted(it didnt let gas trough it).

So i promise you that if you get that filter out of the tank, your car will drive again....

i know its a lot of work but afterwards you will be happy.

greetings
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 02, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks Rollin . Now could you give me a hint on how to get to this filter and where do I get a new one. I realize that I'll have to drop the tank but what else is involved . Thanks
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 02, 04:23 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

It's called a pick up tube sock and it's available from GM for a few bucks. all the repo houses have them also.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 02, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Can anyone tell me if this filter will create the problem when the engine is warmed up, cause that's when the gas evaporates and not when its cold . Thanks.

[This message has been edited by twinlakes (edited 06-22-2002).]
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 02, 01:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I had a similiar problem and removed that sock. Although it will filter, what a pain when it gets clogged. Remove it and use an inline filter that you can see/replace. The person who designed that sock must have had a warped sense of humor!

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 02, 04:23 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

The intank sock filter shouldn't effect it when it's hot only, if it was the sock I'd think it would give you a problem when it's cold also. Have you checked fuel presure, cold vs. hot.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 02, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

All I know is that the clear fuel filter fills up with gas when I first start it up and then while driving it empties out and there is no gas . Like I said all the lines have been changed, it has a new fuel pump, I've wrapped the lines and I can't fix this . Heeelllllpppppppp.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 02, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

With all this knowledge out there can't anyone solve my problem?
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 02, 03:47 AM
Senior Tech

Twinlakes, A couple of ideas. Are you running the sending unit with the 3/8" line. My 69' had 5/16" but I put a 3/8" one in when I replaced the gas tank. I'll need that when I add some horsepower.
If your using a mechanical fuel pump, check the pump, push rod, and rod travel (cam lobe going away ?).
I see your in Utah and you are talking about heat wrapping all the lines. Do you think your vapor locking, perhaps due to altitude?
Sounds to me like your just not getting enough fuel.
Hope this helps.
Sorry, you said new pump, check the rod for wear and travel, this was common in the "old days"!

------------------
Drew
69, It's not just a number, it's a way of life !

[This message has been edited by drew69 (edited 06-24-2002).]
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 02, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey Drew, it has the original 5/16 line. When I put in the new fuel pump the rod was just fine. Why would it vapor lock if every thing is wrapped to stay cool? Is the only way to fix this by using an electric pump?
I can't believe every 68 has an electric fuel pump on them. Should I try the old clothes pin approach ?
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 02, 04:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

There aren't many points of failure. Disconnect the fuel line where it comes out of the pump and crank it over. If gas comes out, the problem is at the carb end. If not, it's the pump or tank end. Have you checked the sock? It only did it on mine when cold. I assume the crud floated away while sitting and then was drawn back when the car was started. You could also disconnect the line back by the tank and pump and blow air through it and make sure that line is clear.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 02, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ok I'll try the sock first and if it works I'll post my solution Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode