70 camaro engine issue - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 13, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

70 camaro engine issue

good evening ,

70 Camaro rs 350 engine 4 bbr carb car drives fine etc even a distance 20 miles than when im stopped at a light it will stall and I will have to restart it as she shakes and idles rough?

took it to a shop the shop is claiming they timed it up but she still is running rough after paying for a tune up in phoenix I did an inspection and nothing looks like it was touched not even one plug nothing, I called the shop they said they adjusted the timing as she was off 6 degrees? I asked if they test drove it and why was the care idling funny?

they claim since the rebuild the harmonic balancer must be faulty and thus the timing is off? the car has a tach when in drive its like 750 in neutral its like 750 in drive its like 550 or 600 as it drops basically I think I got ripped off and really in the phoenix area im finding it hard to find a reputable place,, im not buying the harmonic balancer theory as they want 550 to replace it and rest the timing just isn't making sense ...

I think I should raise the idle when the car is in drive lol thanks upfront for any advice ..

it about helping others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 13, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Paul B

Re: 70 camaro engine issue

Does car have an egr?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 13, 07:06 PM
Senior Tech
Paul B

If car runs fine first 20 miles can't see it being timing. One thing I experienced though it's unlikely is a factory quadrajet on a '70 Chevelle I had did the same thing. It ended up being the float bowl had become porous with age, and after driving a bit the bowl would fill with fuel and weigh the bowl down.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 13, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech

I think Paul meant the float becomes leaky, and doesn't float anymore.

There is a problem with the marking some replacement GM and aftermarket balancers when used with an earlier timing cover tab; should be able to find the discussion here using "balancer mark timing". I used a current (at the time, 1999) 8 inch GM replacement balancer on the 68 327 in my 68, and had to remark balancer. The difference is something like 15 to 30 degrees, enough to really mess things up if not noticed. Timing would be way retarded. Someone unfamiliar with the change by GM of the 8 inch balancer timing mark could say that the balancer is bad, with the outer ring having slipped relative to the inner because the rubber is worn/bad.

That said, not sure your prob could be just timing. Could easily be idle mixture setting (did not say which 4bbl you have), idle speed, choke operation, wrong spark plug heat range or gap, bad plug wire... The list goes on and on.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 13, 01:09 PM
Senior Tech
mike

I am not sure where in Phoenix you are. I was there and there are tons of shows. I think you might want to ask around the shows and see who people in the area recommend. The older cars are a different tuning then the new ones. No plug and play. THe above advice will work, all good. Let us know what you find.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 13, 01:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Float is probably sinking, allowing way to much gas. They get worse when hot. Replace the float and I bet your problems go away.

Can you give it a lot of gas and clear it out a bit, then keep it running by keeping revs up? Probably blowing a bit of black smoke as well.

If it isn't the float, you have some kind of electrical connector that isn't "connecting" well when it gets hot.

Lynn
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 13, 09:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

If the float sinks because of porosity it is not going to drain itself and rise again when the engine is off. It will likely stay flooded.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 13, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you take out the float to test its 'floatability', use gasoline to check.
A leaky/saturated float will float in water...but sink in gas.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode