Rear end wine - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 99, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

I have a loud wine in the rear end of my 69 camaro when I decellerate any one have any suggestions how to correct.

------------------
carolcamaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 99, 06:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Probably nothing can be done. What is happening is that the ring and pinion is worn to the point of no return. It was either set up wrong or it's just worn out. I guess it's possible to adjust the gears to proper specs, but I would say the noise will still be there. I wouldn't worry about it as far as a possible future failure, unless you race the car. My 83 Camaro had the gears replaced under warranty about 15 years ago. It's been whining for about 14 years! No problems though.

Larry
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 99, 04:58 AM
Senior Tech

Always check the U-joints befor condeming the differential gears, They are a lot cheaper and easier then the gears to check and replace. Have known them to make all kinds of wierd noises, transmit driveline noises, also have pulled apart a diff, to install new bearings only to find the front joint was seized.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 99, 08:21 AM
Tech Team

If there is a whining noise, it most likely is the bearings in the diff. As mentioned, check the obvious first. I would suggest taking it to a driveline shop that specializes in differentials and have them look at it. I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing, but the only way to tell for sure is to remove the cover and inspect the parts. In my shop we charge $130 for the bearings and $210 for labor. Usually we also replace axle seals at the same time. Gears are usually OK, unless there is major bearing wear ans slop in the diff. Usually gears will break, and then they make a clunk noise, not a whining noise.
Good luck.

------------------
70 & 1/2 RS
SB406 & M20 4spd
9" rear

70 Malibu 350/TH400

Gold member #103

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode