Plug Color - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old May 1st, 02, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 13
I pulled the plugs last night.

Plugs 5,7,6,8 all look the same:
60% Black porcelain with dark brown coloring on the other 40%, dry to "sooty" looking. The ground electrode looks white on the end, or even a light gray color.

The front plugs, 1,3,2,4 all looked the same:
Black, wet looking procelain and black ground electrode. Each of these plugs has oil on the threads too.

I just eyeballed the plugs. The engine is fresh, less than 500 miles. I am trying to get my timing curve and carb adjusted.

Why would the back plugs look different than the front?
Could a bad header gasket do this?
Bad intake gasket?

The motor has not been revved above 3500rpm's yet and has a lot of idle time on it, or tuning time revving to 3500 to check timing.

The vacuum reads 7.5 to 8 in-hg at 900 rpms. It bounces from 7.5 to 8 but steadies out at about 1200 rpms. I think the bounce is due to the cam.

The timing is currently at 12* initial and 24* total, no vacuum can hooked up.

Any suggestions?

I just bought a new set of AC 45S plugs to try.

How can I tell if I am getting detonation?

Lots of questions, but thanks for any comments.

-Tom


------------------
'79 Z28, 4spd, 3.73 10 bolt, 350 4-bolt .030 over with stud kit, 10:1 Compression, Keith Black Flat Tops, Comp Cams Magnum 294 Solid Cam .525 lift, 63cc Heads, Stainless valves, hardened exhaust seats, guideplates, Summit Needle Bearing Roller Rockers 1.5 ratio, Offy Single Plane Intake, Holley 650 Vac. Secondaries, Stock HEI (for now), Headers 1 7/8" primaries, 3" Collectors into 2 1/2" exhaust with "H" pipe and Turbo Mufflers.
tjgerow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old May 1st, 02, 04:47 AM
Senior Tech
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Westlake, OH 44145
Posts: 707
Sound like the plugs are loaded up from startup and shut down over and over. Start with the fresh plugs drive the car on the freeway and pull into a rest area shut it down and pull the plugs to read them...

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
Milan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome