i need key information - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 00, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Cool

i need to know if anyone can help me find the right key to an 89' camaro rs. im byeing the car and they do not have the key. i took the vin number to the chevrolet dealership to have a new key made but all i can get is the door key, they say that in this year of camaro that it is a electronic igintion which has a chip in the key, they gave me the numbers so i can get the key cut but there was 15 different chips that gm put in the keys that year. what i need to know is can someone tell me which chip and key i need to get by letting you know my vin number on ther car?please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 00, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech

Unfortunately, what you're asking isn't that simple. You were told correctly in the fact that there are 15 different resistance codes for that year vehicle. As far as I'm aware, the dealer is the only one that can get you the resistance code by vin number. It sounds like the dealer you're dealing with won't get off their a$$ and look it up. I'd try a different dealer and see what they say.

------------------
67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73
1989 TransAm 5.7L WS6 W/all the options
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 00, 02:02 AM

89 up camaros came with GM's PASS-key system. You need to hook the car up to a tool called the interrogator and it will determine the proper key code for the pass key module.
Problem with this is GM service departments are the only ones I know of who have this tool.
A couple of other options are to buy a new pass key module from a dealer or buy an aftermarket PROM chip.
A new module accepts any of the 15 codes the first time you apply power and burns the code into its memory, and you can buy PROM chips that are made with out the pass key system in its program.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 02:12 PM
David Pozzi

See if you can find out who the origonal Chevy dealer was. Perhaps they have a record of the key info.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Homepage
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 08-06-2000).]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 00, 04:45 PM

I can tell you the easiest thing to do, If you want to bypass the system go to any car audio shop in your town and tell them you need a "vats bypass remote start kit" this is the same installation kit the pro's use "such as myself" when installing any number of brand name remote starters, there is a harness under dash in orange loom,stip both wires and go through each of 18 resistors until you have the correct one, should only take a matter of a few min, if you are a skilled person with some wire strippers in your hand. as for the key, any locksmith should be able to fit it for you....

[This message has been edited by FLPhatride (edited 08-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by FLPhatride (edited 08-09-2000).]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 00, 04:46 PM

should work for you

[This message has been edited by FLPhatride (edited 08-08-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode