Vibration noise thru steering column... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 03, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

69 Camaro, nonTilt (No tilt)

Trying to diagnose 'noises' so I am hoping someone has advise. While driving around in the city at certain rpms the car will send a vibration down the steering column causing it to make a buzzing sort of sound. When it does it if I push hard on the steering wheel I can stop the noise, obviously I would like to correct this issue rather than pushing on the steering wheel to make the noise go away. Steering wheel is an aftermarket GRANT wheel but it doesn't seem to be coming from the steering wheel itself but more likely something inside the column vibrating like the shaft or something.
Anyone know what might be causing this noise?

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 03, 12:07 PM
Team Member
John

Probably a disintegrated lower shaft bearing at the bottom of the column, or a badly deteriorated rag joint, allowing metal-to-metal contact between the upper and lower flanges. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 03, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hmm, the noise does seem to radiate from the upper section of the shaft, and the rag joint is in excellent condition. I hate noise issues, they are the hardest to resolve.

and

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 03, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech

The firewall seal for the column is a tear-drop shaped piece of rubber. It is fastened to the column with a clamp. There is a single 1/4" head screw (I think). The molded circular escucion must be pulled back and twisted to get access. Loosen the clamp and the three bolts that hold the wheel in place. Pull the wheel out or push in to relax the rag joint. Then adjust the shim on the right rear under-dash column nut. You should be able to position the wheel so it doesn't rest too heavily on the firewall seal and ragjoint as well as get the shaft properly alighed with the box. Beyond that, what do the subframe bushings look like? Are they properly installed and torqued (not over torqued etc.)?

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 03, 02:33 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

dnult
what is the correct torque for the sub frame mounts?

Dave
69 Big Block / Hugger Orange Sold
65 Chevelle SS
Black 2010 Electra Glide Classic
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 03, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech

I'll check my manual tomorrow and drop you a line, or perhaps someone else knows off the top of their heads.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 03, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The body to subframe bushings bushing bolts are 85 ft.lbs.
subframe to radiator support bushing bolts are 50 ft. lbs.

All new Energy Suspension bushings, I recently rebuilt the whole front end. I'll take a look at the stuff you mentioned above, maybe the column is resting against the firewall as you say.

and
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 03, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech

Sorry to say I didn't look up those specs, but I'd say you're right on. That little wedge adjustment can put things in a bind as well. Being as the wheel whould want to drop down under it's own weight I'd bet this will work. Loosen all three nuts that hold the column to the dash. Insert the wedge just to the point before it sticks in the opening (Maybe a 0.025" gap). Pull out on the steering wheel or pry it with a drift about the same. Then tighten the nuts. The rag joint will be the final judge though. Probably will need to raise the front end and have someone cycle the wheel while you look at the rag joint alignment.

-dnult

Dave
========================
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 03, 02:21 AM
Senior Tech

If you have headers, are they close to the steering gear unit ? Mine were close (especially when the engine would torque), and would cause a vibration in the steering column when they touched. I "modified" the header tube, and it went away.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 03, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

RonS, you might be onto something here!!! I don't always get the vibration, and I do have Hedmann Headers - Part Number 65003, and they do seem to come very very very darn close to that gearbox, enough that possibly at times I guess they could actually touch!! I only see at best 1/16th of an inch clearance on tube #1 driver side. Looks like I'm going to remove that header and give myself a little more clearance!

[ 10-19-2003, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Brian Lewis ]

and
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 03, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well just got done ripping the driver side header out, it was basically laying against the power steering box for Cyl #1 so I dented the header slightly to provider some breathing room. While I was at it I sanded the header down and gave it a nice coat of Duplicolor 1200 degrees Black. Also bought some new Mr Gasket 5901 gaskets. Tomorrow I'll reinstall and I am positive this will get rid of my header touching power steering issue, which should in effect remove all the vibrations I feel/hear thru the steering system at times while city driving.
Thanks a bunch guys

and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode