'94 Check Gages issue - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 13, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Brett

'94 Check Gages issue

Hello all, first time poster. Trying to find help or info on what could potentially be the culprit.

Two weeks ago, my check gages light came on on my '94 3.4L V6. All gages were in the normal operating ranges. It stayed on for about 5 minutes then went out. Then last week, it came on again but it didn't go out, it remained illuminated constantly. Now, this morning, it would go out or wink at me under moderate throttle acceleration but remain lit at all other times. Again, all my gages are in the normal ranges.

I know on this particular model that it's related to either the voltage, oil pressure or coolant temp, but all my gages show good readings. Oil pressure is around 40-45 psi at idle rising to 50 or 60 psi under normal RPMS (depending upon how warmed up the car is), voltage is reading around 14-16 Volts and temp rises from the 100 degree mark at startup to around the 190 degrees once the engine is fully warmed up. I'm certain it's not the gages, because they read what they always have in the 19 years I've owned the car and they function normally when the key is turned on but the engine isn't running (Volts around 12, Oil Pressure @ zero and engine temp at 100 if the car is cold or slowly decreasing from 190 depending upon how long the engine was shut off).

I originally thought that maybe I had a faulty sending unit, but dismissed that because if it were that, then the gages or whatever gage wouldn't be giving me the normal readings.

The two main questions I have are:

1 Is there more than one sending unit for each of the indidual gages- one for the instrument panel display and one that feeds the ECM this information

and

2 Short of taking the car to the dealership and having the scan tool attached, is there a way of determining which gage the check gages light is thinking is reading in the danger area and wants me to check?

Thank you all in advance for any assistance you can give me! I'm glad to have stumbled upon this forum and hope I can be helpful in answering others questions as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
check gages, warning light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode